Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Container size (initial fermentation)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Nubster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Container size (initial fermentation)

Just wondering about container size. I want to try my first batch but I want to keep it a small batch, but I wouldn't mind going ahead and getting a 5 gallon bucket for future larger batches. So, can I do an initial fermentation of a 2.5 to 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket? If not, would there be an issue pitching the yeast in the 5 gallon bucket then transferring in to several one gallon glass jugs that I already have? Should I just suck it up and make a 5 gallon batch...lol...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I do small batche in big fermenters all the time. Your plan will work just fine. Welcome to the obsession!

People Like This 
Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh, and if you want to do 5-gal batches, get a 6 or 6.5 gallon fermenter. Cheers!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Oh, and if you want to do 5-gal batches, get a 6 or 6.5 gallon fermenter. Cheers!
Thanks. The buckets I saw at the shop were labeled as 5 gallon but there was easily another gallon or more above the 5 gallon marking on the side...will this work or should I get an actual marked 6 or 6.5 gallon bucket?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Those will work. You need room for the beer's krausen. That's what the extra gallon of space is for.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I do small batche in big fermenters all the time. Your plan will work just fine. Welcome to the obsession!
+1.

Head space doesn't (really) matter in the primary fermenter because CO2 is heavier than O2, it will push O2 out, so oxidation wouldn't be a factor. Only when, or if, you rack to secondaries will the head space matter because you are introducing the beer to more O2.

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

you're fine to primary ferment in larger bucket. I've been doing 3 gallon batches in my 5 gallon fermenters recently. Size does make more difference if you choose to do a secondary fermentation (where oxidation of your fermented beer can come into play). You'd be fine with the bucket marked to 5 gallons, but if you find one marked to 6 or 6.5 that's better. Remember when you ferment, you'll lose some volume to trub loss, so to end with 5 gallons of beer, you want your volume at the end of your boil (and into your fermenter) to be slightly higher, around 5.25gallons or so, which may make the "5gallon marked bucket" kinda tight.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Great info. I'll definitely go for the larger bucket then. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply