Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Constantly getting lower than expected OG and FG, help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
4traindays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Constantly getting lower than expected OG and FG, help!

Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It depends on the recipe, my recipes usually call for a final liquid volume of 5 gal, sometimes 5.25 gal. I may occasionally add a bit top off water to account for the trub displacing some beer, or you may end up with only 4.75 gallons of beer. But if your recipe calls for a total five gallons, and u top off to 5.5, your essentially watering down your beer, which could account for your OG, and FG readings being off.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4traindays View Post
Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?
If you are boiling down to 3 then add 2, you have 5, not 5.5. But that should make your gravity higher, not lower.

Extract or all grain? compensating for temperature? mixing well?

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I start with 2.5 gallons of water usually, then by the time you have added all your LME, and DME, your boil size is increased by quite a bit, then when I transfer to primary I add one gallon to the bottom of the carboy first, transfer the beer on top of it, then top off to about 5.25 gallons, as I said to account for the trub displacement. If your glass carboy is not marked I strongly suggest doing that with an accurate measuring vessel, if you have a bucket fermenter, and it is pre marked I would suggest double checking the accuracy of those marks, as I found my Ale Pale to not be marked as accurately as it should be. All this is assuming your extract brewing, as boil sizes are bigger with partial mash kits.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Quick Reply