The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Consistently Contaminated Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
melortz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Consistently Contaminated Beer

Hi all:

Was wondering if anyone could lend some advice....I have been brewing successfully for a few years and recently moved to a new house where the water is very hard and has a pH of 7.8. Every beer I have brewed here in the new house becomes contaminated after primary fermentation. I use distilled water for my extract kits and everything is fine until I move to secondary fermentation and then there is a strange taste or smell-from a mild off taste to something that tastes like feet or cheese I have replaced my tubing and use Star San for sanitation.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any advice? Thanks

mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

what are you using for your secondary? assuming it is an infection replace all plastic parts. you may have a scratch somewhere that the infection is hiding in.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
melortz
Recipes 

Hi:

I am using a plastic buckets for primary and glass carboys for secondary. The issues is that it happens with every bucket (I have 3 different buckets). Thanks

Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'd start by replacing all the buckets. "Feet" could be a strain of Brettanomyces or Pediococus.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
melortz
Recipes 

Thanks for the $.02 - there is a slight caveat to this puzzle. I had a local brewery brew 2 batches of a Dunkelweizen that I used my primary and secondary containers and it turned out fine. So, does that rule out the buckets being bad and if the buckets are scratched, wouldn't a sanitizer clean it? Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Erythro73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Bacteria can "hide" in scratch and hard to reach places. I would change your plastic materials to get new ones.

Or stop doing secondary, if the infection happen there. A lot of people here stopped doing secondary (unless they are doing fruit beers, dry hoping, etc.). But, this is just avoiding the problem.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
melortz
Recipes 

Can infection get into the glass carboy in secondary. I notice the problem after primary. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
RedGlass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Infection can happen anywhere where there is bacteria. It won't "get into" plastic or glass if it's not already in there when you seal it up.

I think Erythro makes a good point: try fermenting without a secondary vessel and see how it turns out. That could give you a clue as to whether the infection is happening in primary and just taking a little while to show itself or during the racking/secondary.

If you get good results from your primary, and you are convinced your secondary is thoroughly clean and sanitized, I would suspect something in your racking process (maybe a scratched plastic cane?) as a source.

Also, are you sure its an infection as opposed to some sort of serious off flavors? Did you use distilled water before you moved to the new house? Fermentation temps? Try to think of everything about your process that has changed since the move and start playing with the one by one to figure out the source of the problem.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
melortz
Recipes 

Hi Red Glass - thanks for the words of wisdom!

It seems to be a primary fermentation issue b/c I notice it in primary only. How would I know the difference between "off" flavors as opposed to an infection?

I did use distilled water prior to the new house and my fermentation temperatures are usually around 70-75 degrees. Unfortunately, the only thing that has changed is the move to the house and the water. I did speak to the makers of Star San who said that Iodine sanitizers do not work with water that has a pH over 7.5 (my initial batch I used Iodine), so I quickly changed to the chemical based Star San. Thanks

Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

you know i just thought of something we may be missing. what if the infection is hiding in the racking cane? you said that you used different buckets and got the same infection. do you use the same racking cane for each batch? unless you have somehow scratched the inside of the carboy or don't clean with something like PBW or Oxyclean BEFORE you sanitize i don't think its the glass carboy. like others have said it could be your bucket thats infected and it just doesn't show till it has set in your carboy for a few weeks.

Quick Reply