Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Consequences of a Thinner Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Consequences of a Thinner Mash

Typically I do a 1.25 ratio when I mash but today I had issues with the temperature of my strike water and had to add about a gallon more than usual. The result is a 1.60 ration.

What are the consequences of this? I am looking in Palmer and cannot find an answer!

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lower FG and less water to sparge with so probably lower efficiency.

I was doing some mashes that were too thin while trying to dial in my process (and spread sheet) and my efficiency suffered and the beer was often a little too dry.

If I was in that situation (again)! I'd just drain some off and save it to sparge with later.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1932 Times on 1906 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I typically mash at about 1.75 qts/lb up to 2 qts/lb sometimes. Never had a problem. My efficiency is always in the low-mid 80's. I started doing it by accident but it has worked so well I have never changed it. I have not ever gotten a really FG and I am usually slightly over my calculated OG. I have no plans to thicken my mash in the near future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.
This makes sense to me b/c if this was NOT the case then the BIAB folks wouldn't be able to do what they do, right?

Figured I would ask b/c I find that if I proceed confidently as if I know the answer to something new then invariably I am proved wrong.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
Figured I would ask b/c I find that if I proceed confidently as if I know the answer to something new then invariably I am proved wrong.
Amen. This will be carved on my tombstone.

Quick Reply