New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Consequences of a Thinner Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Consequences of a Thinner Mash

Typically I do a 1.25 ratio when I mash but today I had issues with the temperature of my strike water and had to add about a gallon more than usual. The result is a 1.60 ration.

What are the consequences of this? I am looking in Palmer and cannot find an answer!

Long range forecast:

5G Carboy Primary (1):
5G Carboy Primary (2):
2.5G Carboy Primary:

Kegged: alt, Belgo Clone Wars, Salt n' Peppa IPA, Slip One to the Porter, Russian Oligarch Stout, Rye Around Sally IPA, California Commoner, No Fail Cream Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lower FG and less water to sparge with so probably lower efficiency.

I was doing some mashes that were too thin while trying to dial in my process (and spread sheet) and my efficiency suffered and the beer was often a little too dry.

If I was in that situation (again)! I'd just drain some off and save it to sparge with later.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1893 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I typically mash at about 1.75 qts/lb up to 2 qts/lb sometimes. Never had a problem. My efficiency is always in the low-mid 80's. I started doing it by accident but it has worked so well I have never changed it. I have not ever gotten a really FG and I am usually slightly over my calculated OG. I have no plans to thicken my mash in the near future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.
This makes sense to me b/c if this was NOT the case then the BIAB folks wouldn't be able to do what they do, right?

Figured I would ask b/c I find that if I proceed confidently as if I know the answer to something new then invariably I am proved wrong.

Long range forecast:

5G Carboy Primary (1):
5G Carboy Primary (2):
2.5G Carboy Primary:

Kegged: alt, Belgo Clone Wars, Salt n' Peppa IPA, Slip One to the Porter, Russian Oligarch Stout, Rye Around Sally IPA, California Commoner, No Fail Cream Ale.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
Figured I would ask b/c I find that if I proceed confidently as if I know the answer to something new then invariably I am proved wrong.
Amen. This will be carved on my tombstone.

Quick Reply