Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > confusion about water per pound ratio?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default confusion about water per pound ratio?

As I have been reading and learning, I keep hearing that the water to lbs of grain ratio when mashing should be about 1-1.25qt per pound of grain. Most recipes I have studied call for a 60 minute boil (5 gallon batches) what I'm confused about is this..If the grainbill is only 8-9lbs of grain for a low gravity beer, or 12-13lbs for a higher gravity beer, how will the same ratio work for both recipes and end up with the same post boil amount of wort??

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post
As I have been reading and learning, I keep hearing that the water to lbs of grain ratio when mashing should be about 1-1.25qt per pound of grain. Most recipes I have studied call for a 60 minute boil (5 gallon batches) what I'm confused about is this..If the grainbill is only 8-9lbs of grain for a low gravity beer, or 12-13lbs for a higher gravity beer, how will the same ratio work for both recipes and end up with the same post boil amount of wort??

Thanks,
Because of absorption. More grain absorbs more water. As long as the (Grain:Water) ratio and the boil time is consistent, your post boil volume will also be consistent. However, the amount of starch converted to sugar will always be a factor of the amount of grain and your conversion efficiency. Because more grain = more starch converted to sugar.

EDIT: Welcome to HBT!

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

That ratio is for mashing. You then sparge with more water to reach the boil volume.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
That ratio is for mashing. You then sparge with more water to reach the boil volume.
This is true. In my previous statement I left out the sparge step. But if all aspects are consistent (including the sparge water volume), post boil volume is the same.

If i understand the question of the OP it was related to how the ratio maintains a consistent volume in both scenarios when more water is necessary for increased grain weight.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
wyoast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That makes perfect sense. Thanks guys!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoast View Post
That makes perfect sense. Thanks guys!
You're welcome.

Chad

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply