The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A confused Multi Malt Mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Personally I like your attitude with this "all in" attitude, not how I would brew but go for it!

I do agree a grain mill would be a great investment though so you can have greater control over how you buy and what you use. Besides, your efficiency will probably increase as well and then you'll buy less

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Grain mill is on the list. I just have a space problem at the moment so buying 25KG bags of grain isn't going to keep the wife happy.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #13
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo
Grain mill is on the list. I just have a space problem at the moment so buying 25KG bags of grain isn't going to keep the wife happy.
You don't have to buy that much grain, you can get a big base malt and then smaller specialty grains and still get several batches in one purchase, you just mill what you need, when you need it.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo View Post
I don't know exactly how tight your space constraints are, but a sack of grain only takes up a little more than a cubic foot in the right container. A lot of people here in the States use a pet food container that's about a foot square and maybe 15" tall. I'd assume that there's something similar available in NZ.

And the best part about all-grain is that you can make just about any style using standard 2-row as 75% or better of your grain bill. So you just need the one big sack and you can buy your specialty malts a bit at a time as you need them. The savings aren't quite as good since the price of grain in general has been climbing, but I'm still paying about 30% less per pound for a sack of grain than if I were to buy it in smaller lots.

All that said, I can see how it can still be a significant amount of room if you happen to live in a small apartment. If that were my situation, I'd definitely prioritize storing beer over grain.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
kiwirevo
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's not too constrained but definitely fill up space with beer is the priority at the moment and my LHBS is very close and has heaps of selection so I'm spoilt for choice. Once I do a few all grains I might decide on a base malt and work out how/where to store it.
The LHBS prices are either per kilo or per 25kg bag, and I would save about NZ$40 on the 25kilos so it's worth it if I can eventually do it. An added complicating factor is that I have a friend who can get me amber LME for FREE but I don't know how long that will last.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1674

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirevo View Post
I'm not too concerned about the smoked as I've made 100% peat smoked (small batch) before and it was delicious.
More for you.

Quick Reply