The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > confused about a tip in the latest 'byo' mag (hops)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The amount of bittering compunds you can extract from the hops really tapers off after 60 minutes, so throwing them in at 90 (or FWH) does not give you a ton more IBUs than throwing them in a 60 (Other than the hot break/hop utilization discussion)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #12
hollsa
Recipes 

thanks for pitching in everyone and for the quote, jvetter. in retrospect, i must've initially read too much into his statement, "these are the points during the boil when you should add the hops". for some reason, i literally thought he meant at the appointed time of the hour, not the duration. seems my original understanding was right but i somehow crossed-wires when my eyes took in the 60 min., 15 min., 1 min. markings, as to me this just looked like some weird counting backwards thing.

i blame everything on the cold meds i've been on for a few days now!

so this recipe i'm undertaking tomorrow is chock full of hops, will boil times of 60 mins, 30 mins, 10 mins (all 1 oz each) but the final addition is 2 oz at zero minutes. there's an additional oz. reserved for dry hopping.

is the zero minutes an error?

hmm....

Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #13
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollsa View Post
so this recipe i'm undertaking tomorrow is chock full of hops, will boil times of 60 mins, 30 mins, 10 mins (all 1 oz each) but the final addition is 2 oz at zero minutes. there's an additional oz. reserved for dry hopping.

is the zero minutes an error?

hmm....
Holy schmoly! That's a lot of hops! On second viewing it is pretty much exactly what I added to my latest IPA.

No 0 minutes is no mistake. Add those 2 ozs when you turn off the burner. That is also called "flameout." This addition is very standard for most every type of beer, except maybe a kolsch.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
if i read the comment correctly, it seems that this person means to say that hop boiling times such as 60 min., 1 oz. cascade, etc. should not indicate the length of the boiling time but, instead, when to add them to the boil.

ok, this makes no sense to me. if it made sense, then i'd understand that the 15-minute hops would be listed first, before the 60 mins.
Think of it as "with X minutes left in the boil".

60mins = "with 60 minutes left in the boil"
15mins = "with 15 minutes left in the boil"
etc

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #15
hollsa
Recipes 

thanks, dontman...flameout...makes perfect sense. doi. yes, it's going to be a luscious double ipa. my first since august! i can hardly wait.

thanks fratermus and everyone, excellent feedback.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The first time I looked up recipes I was confused on the whole time and hops thing as well. I didn't know if it meant "Boil for 60 minutes, then add hops. Boil for 30 minutes, then add hops, etc" or not.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
I-Hop
Recipes 

Quote:
hi,

thanks! i'm getting ready to do a double ipa tomorrow and will be making a hop tea, and i'll add the hops to the wort based on 60 mins. being how long they need to be boiled, et al! that is, unless i really have been misunderstanding how to read a recipe and this person is right!

thanks!
A HOP TEA??! Tell me more about this hop tea you speak of. I have never heard of it. Do you use spent hop plugs? fresh hops? My wife and I are both major hopheads and she is a tea drinker. Sounds like something she may really like.

Once it hits your lips, it's so good! -Frank the Tank

Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #18
hollsa
Recipes 

hi i-hop,

i don't know if i'm sold on the idea of the hop tea thing at this point. apparently hops attenuate (sorry if this isn't the right word, i'm in a hurry) more efficiently in water. i was shooting for a sg of around 1.085, and this is what the guy at northern brewer suggested i do.

only, i neglected to then subtract the 3 qts of hop tea/water from the water used for the wort. still, the sg was a healthy 1.070 and i must say that the initial sample out of the hydrometer tube was pretty good, with a terrific hop noseful too.

Quick Reply