Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > confused!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
jimmywit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default confused!!!!

I just did a brew and took a recipe from a book from the owner of the dog fish head brewery. In the recipe it stated to use 1/2 lbs of torrified wheat and 1/2 lbs of 6 row pale malt, place them in a grain bag place the bag in water, turn the heat on high until 170 then remove the bag. Now after reading and research I find out these grains must be mashed, or it will create off flavored beer. What is the deal? why do so many of these recipes call to steep grains that in turn need to be mashed? Or am I just way off base. Sorry I am just new and want to learn as much as I can so I can make good beer. I just want to figure this stuff out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Although the grains need to be mashed to extract the sugar, steeping will give you the color and flavor from the grains.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's an extract with grains recipe...with steeping you get flavor and mouthfeel from them, although they, through steeping, don't provide any fermentable sugars.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well that makes me feel better. Thanks alot for all of your help. I know you must hear the same questions over and over, but to someone new like myself, it is great to be able to have a place to turn when I get confused.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Actually this is NOT one of the often asked questions. And it is actually a good one. Glad we could clear it up.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
Knightrain88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmywit View Post
I just did a brew and took a recipe from a book from the owner of the dog fish head brewery.
I'm pretty sure that I just bought that same book this weekend. I've earmarked the "A to Z Brown Ale" as my "on-deck" brew (the next time SWMBO actually.... y'know.... lets me brew) and there are plently more very tasty-sounding beers (Blood Orange Hefe, Pumpkin Porter, Cherry Ale, etc.) to keep me neck-deep in beer for the next several months.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the idea behind mashing/steeping the wheat with the six row is for it's diastic power. I have to believe if you throw the grains in cold water and apply heat until it reaches 170 there's going to be some conversion going on.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

PT Ray is correct. The 6-row has crazy diastatic power and will convert any specialty grains that need mashing in your steep. It will do the conversion fairly quickly as you come up through the mashing temperatures, and when you reach that 170 magic number (basically a mashout temp) it will halt conversion. You pull the grains at this point to prevent tannin extraction/harshness.

Happy brewing.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Hopefully you crushed the grains before doing this.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

some grains need to be mashed some grains don't. base malts, like 6 row, and kilned malts need to be mashed. caramel and roasted malts don't need to be mashed and can just be steeped.

Quick Reply