Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Conditioning Temperatures in Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Ouroboros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Conditioning Temperatures in Primary

Fermentation on my IIPA finished after about 10 days (two gravity readings two days apart). During the period of active fermentation, I kept the beer in a water bath to hold it around 64F. Now that fermentation is complete, is it safe to take the beer out of the water bath?

From what I've read, it seems like that's fine to do if you've racked to a secondary, but I'm not sure about it if you're leaving the beer in the primary. I'm going to be keeping it in my garage, where the temperature has recently been 80-90 degrees during the day. Is there any risk of developing off-flavors by having the beer sitting on the yeast cake and bits of trub at these temperatures, even though fermentation has finished?

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

IMO now that fermentation is actually done the temp isn't as important. just keep it below 80 to preserve the flavor of the beer.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
IMO now that fermentation is actually done the temp isn't as important. just keep it below 80 to preserve the flavor of the beer.
Hmm... so I'll encounter flavor stability issues >80F?

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

thats what i've read. haven't been to eager to find out for myself.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I would try my best to shield ANY of my beer (purchased, home brewed., whatever) from BOTH high temps (greater than 80 degrees) and from wild temperature swings. Find a cool corner of your house to keep your beer until you are ready to bottle.

Quick Reply