Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Conditioning

Does refrigeration stall conditioning?
I typically bottle condition for 3 weeks before I put a 6 pack in the fridge for the initial quality check. But I have a brown ale that has an grain alcohol kind of taste after it warms up a little. To set it aside for a bit to age it does it need to come out of the fridge?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Better to age it at cellar tamps.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2115 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

It might've needed more than 3 weeks to carb & condition. Ime,conditioning takes about a week longer than carbing to be optimum.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Cold slows down conditioning greatly- beer (and wine) will still age at fridge temps, but much more slowly.

Beer ages fastest at room temperature, and very slowly at fridge temps. That's why wines (and beers) are typically cellared to slow down the aging in a controlled temperature environment.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Yep, need to take it out of the fridge. Fridge temps put the yeast to sleep and pretty much halts the aging process.

My first batch was an extract brown ale kit. Was pretty good, though it did have some alcohol warmth to it. It improved slightly with a little age... then at four months, it suddenly transformed to an excellent beer.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Quick Reply