Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Conditioning

What sort of processes are taking place during conditioning? It seems that a 4-8 week conditioning phase is adequate for a lot of brews, but what happens the longer it conditions? Are the changes as drastic as the first couple of months? Is there a sort of bell curve or chart that depicts what the average brew goes through if left over time?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what is taking place here. It's going through changes, but it doesn't seem that all of these changes are at a constant.

Any good reads online?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Excellent questions! Wish I had answers.

The way I think of it, your beer is a living thing. Whether you bottle or keg, or bulk-age prior to bottling or kegging, there are millions of living yeasties in there, gradually metabolizing sugars, proteins, etc. There is a diminishing curve for this process - for example, lots of sugars early, few sugars later. More will happen during the first week than during the seventh. But if you want biochemical details - can't help you there!

I'll be watching this thread in case a PhD chimes in...

Cheers!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

sub'd as well in case someone drops uber science bombs, lol

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

All I've read is that hop bitterness dissipates and more malty characteristics come to the fore over time. But that's pretty general

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 22

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Bre.../dp/0937381748

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

I'm not that kind of doctor...

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
KaisersDogHouse
Recipes 

Check this thread out, it might be of some help.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/agin...cussion-84005/

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
phatspade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's what I found from John Palmer's How to Brew.

"The reactions that take place during the conditioning phase are primarily a function of the yeast. The vigorous primary stage is over, the majority of the wort sugars have been converted to alcohol, and a lot of the yeast cells are going dormant - but some are still active.

The Secondary Phase allows for the slow reduction of the remaining fermentables. The yeast have eaten most all of the easily fermentable sugars and now start to turn their attention elsewhere. The yeast start to work on the heavier sugars like maltotriose. Also, the yeast clean up some of the byproducts they produced during the fast-paced primary phase. But this stage has its dark side too.

Under some conditions, the yeast will also consume some of the compounds in the trub. The "fermentation" of these compounds can produce several off-flavors. In addition, the dormant yeast on the bottom of the fermentor begin excreting more amino and fatty acids. Leaving the post-primary beer on the trub and yeast cake for too long (more than about three weeks) will tend to result in soapy flavors becoming evident. Further, after very long times the yeast begin to die and break down - autolysis, which produces yeasty or rubbery/fatty/meaty flavors and aromas. For these reasons, it can be important to get the beer off of the trub and dormant yeast during the conditioning phase.

There has been a lot of controversy within the homebrewing community on the value of racking beers, particularly ales, to secondary fermentors. Many seasoned homebrewers have declared that there is no real taste benefit and that the dangers of contamination and the cost in additional time are not worth what little benefit there may be. While I will agree that for a new brewer's first, low gravity, pale beer that the risks probably outweigh the benefits; I have always argued that through careful transfer, secondary fermentation is beneficial to nearly all beer styles. But for now, I will advise new brewers to only use a single fermentor until they have gained some experience with racking and sanitation.

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur."

Quick Reply