Condensation in top of fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilli49

Reaction score
Just got the #4 starter kit from Morebeer and brewing my first batch ever (the included light ale extract). Everything went pretty smooth and things are fermenting right now.
I've got a plastic carboy with an airlock on it and things are happening inside like they're supposed to, but I've noticed a lot of condensation inside the carboy near the top. Is that normal/okay? I'm trying to keep my room temp around 70, but i'm sure it's varying due to the drastic day/night temp changes here in Houston right now.

Also, any good way to clean my reusable grain/hops bags?

Thanks!

lates,

t-willy

Just got the #4 starter kit from Morebeer and brewing my first batch ever (the included light ale extract). Everything went pretty smooth and things are fermenting right now.
I've got a plastic carboy with an airlock on it and things are happening inside like they're supposed to, but I've noticed a lot of condensation inside the carboy near the top. Is that normal/okay? I'm trying to keep my room temp around 70, but i'm sure it's varying due to the drastic day/night temp changes here in Houston right now.

Also, any good way to clean my reusable grain/hops bags?

Thanks!

lates,

t-willy

Try to keep it in the low to mid 60's if you can. 70 is going to be too hot. A pool of water around the carboy via a bucket or trash can and a wet towel on top will help keep the temps consistent. I'm thinking the condensation may be from your heater in your house?

Yes it's normal. Fermentation generates heat.

I just flip my hop bag inside out and rinse it well, and let it air dry. Nothing special really.

Hi Twilli, congrats on your first beer! It will turn out awesome as long as you keep everything clean.

Condensation is fine. Nothing to worry about.

As for the grain/hop bags, let them soak in some water for a while, then take it out and let it dry and then you can just shake the dry particles out.

Condensation inside of a fermenter is completely normal. Whenever I take the lid off of my conical to clean it I need to always remember that. Otherwise I get drenched with water.

Here's what I do with my muslin hop & grain sacks. I turn'em inside out into a blue grocery bag to empty them. Then rinse the out in the sink to remove as much particulate matter as possible. Then put them in a small sauce pan of boiling water for a few minutes to loosen the stains a bit. I have this sandwich size tupperware container that I then put them in with enough PBW to cover,& snap the lid on. They'll take maybe a week,but it's about the same as bleaching them. When soaked clean,I rinse them out good,ring'em out,& hang up to dry. Usually from my clamp on desk lamp.
They come out looking like new!

Back