Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Concerns with first attempt at homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
crosssidetop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Concerns with first attempt at homebrewing

I saw the sticky about fermentation possibly taking longer, so that answers one question

But it's been about 20 hours since I pitched my yeast and I already have what appears to be a thick layer of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter.

Anybody who can tell me what this may be indicative of?

The brew is 'supposed' to be a White IPA made with extract. Used the side burner on my bbq which was pretty inadequate as it would only achieve a rolling boil with the lid on. Took 4 hours to cool in an ice packed basin in my laundry room. I used a smack pack of wyeast 3944 belgian witbier, but didn't realize it took 3 hours to mature, and found online that it wasn't necissary for proper fermentation so I said screw it and pitched it as it was 3am and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm going to sit on it for the timeframe expected regardless, just wondering if there's any advice I can get to help this batch?

OG was 1.045 which was quite a bit lower than what was on the recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
crosssidetop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha... Just saw the other sticky full of 'did I ruin my first beer' threads. Okay I'd rather not look through all of those. Like I said, I'm going to go with it regardless.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
crosssidetop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also yes, there is no visible sign of fermentation, I'll update in a couple of days if this continues to be the case.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Ok.... Where to start......

1) Like the stickie says, don't worry about the time before fermentation starts. 24-72 hours is all perfectly acceptable.
2) Boiling with the lid on is an absolute NO NO. There are chemical compounds DMS (dimethyl sulfide a) that need to be boiled off. If not, they can give your beer a canned corn taste.
3) the 3 hour wait time on the snack pack is not critical. Just suggested.
I once brainfarted and dumped a smack pack in without breaking the capsule inside ad my beer was fine.

Let it go for a couple weeks and then check gravity. The decision of ruined vs not ruined can only be made later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY- Apple Cider (13 gallons)
CONDITIONING:
DRINKING: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
DRINKING: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
PLANNING: Dunny's Learn To Homebrew Day APA
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Looks ok to me. Probably just your yeast having an orgy. Try to keep your fermentation temps on the cooler side of the recommend temp range. Look up swamp cooler if you don't have temp control and fermentation chamber. Just basically place your fermentor in a larger bucket or tub and surround it with water. Frozen water bottles can be switched out to keep the temp in the desired range.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosssidetop View Post
I saw the sticky about fermentation possibly taking longer, so that answers one question

But it's been about 20 hours since I pitched my yeast and I already have what appears to be a thick layer of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter.

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I7m5Ql2.jpg[/IMG]

Anybody who can tell me what this may be indicative of?

The brew is 'supposed' to be a White IPA made with extract. Used the side burner on my bbq which was pretty inadequate as it would only achieve a rolling boil with the lid on. Took 4 hours to cool in an ice packed basin in my laundry room. I used a smack pack of wyeast 3944 belgian witbier, but didn't realize it took 3 hours to mature, and found online that it wasn't necissary for proper fermentation so I said screw it and pitched it as it was 3am and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm going to sit on it for the timeframe expected regardless, just wondering if there's any advice I can get to help this batch?

OG was 1.045 which was quite a bit lower than what was on the recipe.

I agree with brewkinger, where to start,
1- boiling w/ the lid on is a definite "NO, NO". In addition to preventing the boil off of unwanted compounds like DMS prevents proper concentration of your wort, another key aspect of the boil. This probably contributed to you low OG.
What was the expected OG based on the recipe?
2- you didn't mention any hop additions. Were they done per the recipe? Also, did you use any Iriash Moss or Whirfloc toward the end of your boil?
It's possible that the sediment is proteins and other trub material.

W
3- What's the temp of your fermentor & how are you controlling that temp?
4- get a copy of Palmer or read it online. It will benefit your efforts in the future.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
crosssidetop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. The expected 0g was between 65 and 75. I added the hops at the correct times as well as a tab of whirfloc. Also fermentation is under way. Quality or not, it'll be a beer. It's supposed to be dry hopped with simcoe, when should I do that? These instructions are pretty ****ty. It says ferment in primary for 7-10 days then transfer to secondary. How? I have a carboy ready. How do I keep sediment from transitioning with the beer?

Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Get yourself an autosiphon.

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY- Apple Cider (13 gallons)
CONDITIONING:
DRINKING: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
DRINKING: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
PLANNING: Dunny's Learn To Homebrew Day APA
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
Foosier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Don't worry too much about the sediment. Not that big an issue. It all falls out in in secondary ( if you do that)

Thoughts to make your life easier when faced with ****ty kit instrux.
1 - skip the secondary. You can just throw the dry hop right into primary after about 7 days. Way easier than transferring and works great.
2 - cold crash you fermenter. Put the fermenter into the fridge when the dry hop has been in place for a week. This will make the yeast and hops drop out of suspension.
3 - use an auto siphon to transfer the beer to your bottle bucket or keg. It is easy to use and will not pick up much trub since the cold crash will have compacted the yeast cake.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #10
crosssidetop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a lot Foosier. That helps a lot.

Quick Reply