Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Completely forgot to add dry malt powder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #1
BrewLuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Completely forgot to add dry malt powder

My brother and I made (or attempted to make) a Fat Tire clone today. It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit. We noticed the dry malt powder in the kit, but when we went to boil, we completely forgot. Then, before we pitched the yeast, we realized that the package of malt was still sitting, nice and safe, in the box on the table. Our OG was way off as well (1.026 when it should have been in the 1.040ish range), so I know we are low on our sugars.

After a few choice words, we decided to check what the our options were. We capped off our primary and have our somewhat odd concoction in the basement. We didn't pitch our yeast, either.

What happens if we boil our malt extract into the wort now? We don't have a pot big enough for five gallons of liquid, plus room to stir, so we would have to boil in two different pots. Would mixing that together again cause a problem? Will it drastically alter the flavor of the beer? Or is there some other solution to this that we just don't know about?

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some of the last batch we made. It jsut keeps getting better and better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewLuke View Post
My brother and I made (or attempted to make) a Fat Tire clone today. It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit. We noticed the dry malt powder in the kit, but when we went to boil, we completely forgot. Then, before we pitched the yeast, we realized that the package of malt was still sitting, nice and safe, in the box on the table. Our OG was way off as well (1.026 when it should have been in the 1.040ish range), so I know we are low on our sugars.

After a few choice words, we decided to check what the our options were. We capped off our primary and have our somewhat odd concoction in the basement. We didn't pitch our yeast, either.

What happens if we boil our malt extract into the wort now? We don't have a pot big enough for five gallons of liquid, plus room to stir, so we would have to boil in two different pots. Would mixing that together again cause a problem? Will it drastically alter the flavor of the beer? Or is there some other solution to this that we just don't know about?

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some of the last batch we made. It jsut keeps getting better and better.

DON'T boil all the wort! Just get the DME and put it in just enough water to dissolve it. Boil that for about 5 minutes, cool it in an ice bath, and add it to the primary and then stir well. Then pitch the yeast.

If you boil the wort again, you'll remove the aroma and flavor from the finishing (later added) hops. By the way, not to be picky, but if you brewed a red ale, that's not even close to Fat Tire. It'll be a good beer, but won't taste at all like Fat Tire.
BrewLuke Likes This 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 to yooper

Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yooper gave you a solution. I am curious as what exactly did you boil if there was no extract.

Gary

Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
BrewLuke
Recipes 

All that worry for nothing. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Yooper gave you a solution. I am curious as what exactly did you boil if there was no extract.
There was a liquid malt extract (1 can) and the bittering hops. And I suppose a short amount of time with the finishing hops as well. I'd hope we are smart enough to catch ourselves just boiling water. But who knows? We all have our moments, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
By the way, not to be picky, but if you brewed a red ale, that's not even close to Fat Tire. It'll be a good beer, but won't taste at all like Fat Tire.
I suppose this is what I get for listening to the sales guy and not taking time to evaluate what he said. Oops. Good thing I'm not too picky about my beer.

Last edited by BrewLuke; 09-22-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It happens and you learn from mistakes. In the end, you will still have beer!

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you modify the recipe? Brewer's best red ale was my very first brew and honestly it was one of my best. You should enjoy it very much.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Sager Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are some decent fate tire kits out there. If your local hbs doesn't have a fate tire specific kit, just look for any Amber kit and use a Belgian yeast.

Drinking: All kinds of stuff
Primary: Cider
Secondary:
Kegged: Rollings Hills Pale Ale
Conditioning/bottled: Rollings Hills Pale Ale, Clackmananshire Wee Heavy
On Deck: Oldenwald Dunkelweizen.

Last edited by Sager Brewing Co.; 09-22-2008 at 03:28 AM.

Quick Reply