Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Completed First Brew, Successfully!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
Babybatch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Well done. A good and gracious example for all of us newbies that have yet to reach that first batch.

Soon. Soon.

"A man could work his whole life towards trying to make the ultimate quad and it would not be wasted." - saq

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #32
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1843 Times on 1303 Posts
Likes Given: 3691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabus View Post
Awesome! I just tried my first 5 gallon batch a couple days ago. It was pretty good for ~10 days in the bottle. I know it will get better. I have the Caribou Slobber in primary right now. I just picked up a 6 gallon bucket to use as a secondary. I'll rack the CS in about a week and start another batch. This is a great hobby!
not to get too off subject but i wanted to give some advice. Try to use a 5 gallon vessel when doing secondary. You want as little head space as possible

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Forget buying another fermenter (for the moment). If you have the space, look at getting a used chest freezer or fridge and get a external temperature controller. Since you have your fermenter covered up, this would be the good time to look around the local ads for a used fridge/freezer.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on that first batch and welcome to the hobby.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default 5 Gallon Fermenters

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
not to get too off subject but i wanted to give some advice. Try to use a 5 gallon vessel when doing secondary. You want as little head space as possible
I have a very limited amount to spend on my addiction (home brewing), so I try to go on the cheap, Home De pot, has food grade 5 gallon buckets and lids; both for $5.00 as i remember. As has happened to me, after racking to my secondary, a 5 gallon bucket has plenty of room to rest. I have also gone to the bakery at Wally world, and gotten both 2 and 3-1/2 gallon covered buckets that once contained frosting, and I paid $1.00 per. Just an idea.1 dollar for a bucket, and 3 dollars for a valve, and vio'la half batch fermenters.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
prohl84
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Yes! I'll drink to that!

If you look up now you might catch a glimpse of the sky disappearing as you descend down the rabbit hole that is homebrewing.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #36
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A good first batch? Good job. I brewed a whole lot of bad before I got good beer - happy to hear you're off to a good start.

Next stop ... A keg system!

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Jobe5217 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #37
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
They're so cute at this age!

Just kidding, bud. Congrats on the first brew. What's next? You gotta get the pipeline filled to help with patience. (Although it sounds like you did better than average if you waited two weeks from bottling - congrats on THAT!)
The pipeline is real important, never run out of beer. Also, share with friends and spread the word

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Jobe5217 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #38
Jobe5217
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
The pipeline is real important, never run out of beer. Also, share with friends and spread the word
I've been letting my pipeline get a little thin but the next one is coming soon!

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems!"

Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #39
mpc88
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217 View Post

Just tasted my first home brew! Brewed NB Caribou Slobber and it turned out pretty well after 3-weeks-primary and 2-weeks-bottled. Thanks to everyone who has left comments/answers on my previous posts, it was nice to have a place to turn to.

It tastes good, there is nothing "off" in the flavor that I can tell. The first bottle seemed a little strong, but the second bottle a day later tasted much better. I am pretty pleased with myself if I must say! I was pretty worried after reading about how little things can go wrong adding different unwanted flavors.

Woo-hoo for home brewing!
Congrats. I'm on my third and I STILL don't want to talk about it YET because I HAVE been getting off flavors, but who knows with this third one. Glad I found this forum because it's loaded with information like crazy.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #40
nsring
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Cheers friend

Good science leads to good beer.

Jobe5217 Likes This 

Quick Reply