New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Complete Noobie Help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
erostgol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Complete Noobie Help!!

Hi guys
This is my first post, I have never brewed before but want to give it a go. I received a brewing setup for free and think I have everything I need to start. I was wondering what is the easiest beer to do for your first beer? I was thinking a PA, but if any 1 else has ideas let me know. Also I guess its best to start with a liquid malt extract, but there are alot of different ones and the recipes I looked at seemed to have alot of different stuff going in IE LME with DME 2 types of hops ect is this the norm or does any one have a simple starting recipe for me? I currently have no ingredients so ill have to buy anything needed, so please keep that in mind with recipe ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

At first I thought you were brewing Prince Albert, but I'm now thinking you mean pale ale. Pale ale won't necessarily be the easiest first brew, but it's also not as hard as something like a light lager. I like a stout or a porter for the first beer. They often only have one hop addition for bittering and are some what forgiving of minor off flavors. However, if pale ale is what you like, go for it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
erostgol
Recipes 

Hey shooter
thanks for the quick reply, I dont really care what type I start with just want something not to complicated to start with.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Neither one should be that tough of a brew day, you'll probably have a few more and/or bigger late hop additions with the pale ale. Whichever way you go, I would look for a kit that provides a small amount of grain for steeping and not one that relies only on extract for all the flavor and color. The basic extract kits from Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, More Beer, etc. should get you on the right track.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

a prince albert would be cool too. Just be sure to sanitize.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
DUNDASJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go with a liquid extract kit made by your lhbs it'll come with step by step instructions and everything you need. Helped me do my first brew.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can make it as easy as you wish from pre hopped no boil ecstract kit to partial mash and beyond....

Do you have a brew calculator? and how big a boil can you make?

Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

i actually would skip the steeping grain for the first time. Something like this:

6 lbs light lme

1 oz Willamette for 60 mins
.5 oz Willamette for 5 mins
.5 oz Willamette for 1 minute

1 packet Safale 05 once the wort is cooled to 70F or so

This way you can just buy one 2 oz container of hops, a pack of yeast, and some lme. For your second batch, try steeping some grain. Start simple and add steps as you progress. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
erostgol
Recipes 

Great Help guys and thank you Jonk331 for that recipe. That seems to be right were I want to be for my first brew. Like I said everything I had seen had soaking grains and multi malts and this crystal malt thing not sure what that is lol. I just want to put down a batch and get a feel for the possess then ill expand. Can I ask what I should be paying for LME because the guy at the brew shop here was telling me it was 11 bucks a container and I would need 2, is that average? (sorry I dident get a size was a little over whelmed lol) also he told me it was 1.99 an oz for hop pellets and did not say what type they were. He then showed me the yeast there was both liquid and powered the 1st being 9bucks and the powder being 2 bucks. If these are normal prices im fine with paying them just dont want to get screwed because I dont know any better )

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Desrever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That Sounds right to me 3 lbs DME $11.95 at my local home brew shop.

Quick Reply