Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Default Complete Coopers Brewery IPA Beer Kit

I have this kit coming into day from Amazon.com

Is there anything I could add to boost the OG so that I get a stronger product?

Perhaps a little LME from my local shop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Yeah,lme or dme.If you want to dry it and lose body you could use sugars but i usually stay away from those,im a like some body kinda guy.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I think that's a no-boil kit, right? Just mix it up and add yeast? Those kits are called "Kit and a kilo"- the kit and a kilo of sugar or extract added to it?

Boiling a no-boil kit changes the character of it- the hops flavor and aroma will be changed and then it'll be more bitter.

Adding more fermentables without adding more hops will cause it to be unbalanced and not very much like an IPA at all. But if you add hops, you'll have to boil it or at least the water because hops oils only isomerize when boiling.

If you're interested in tweaking a kit, you could try some better kits that would allow you to customize them more easily and with better results. I'm not a fan of Coopers at all, only having done one batch in the past. For just a few dollars more, a quality kit can be had. The canned extract has a "twang" to it, and the prehopping means you're stuck with the bittering/hops flavor/aroma that it comes with. The big boost of corn sugar gives it a thin and sort of weird cider taste. The yeast that comes with the kit is generally not very high quality, so maybe a better yeast would help it.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
C-Rider

Recipes 

Thanks it came today.
Contents:
1-Can IPA Extract
1-kilo Dextros
500g Light Dry Malt
7g-Cooper's IPA yeast #09810

A friend did this using 3 lbs (approx) of LME and it came out OK but it's still only 2 weeks in the bottle. Time will tell.
I could pick up a different yeast tomorrow? Maybe some hops and a bit of LME.

Yup it's the no boil stuff. The whole package including boxes weight is just under 10 lps.
Can't figure why some companies would charge $36 to get something like this to Hawai`i.
Don' believe FEDEX charged that much for 10 lbs.
I realize there is a handling charge involved, but......

Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made one of the cooper IPAs a few weeks ago, Iv had it in the keg about a week I'll probably put it in the fridge and hook it up for next wkend. It tasted like it was pretty hoppy as it comes.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
C-Rider

Recipes 

Think I'll go down to the brew shop and pick up "stuffs" for a red ale and do the "boil". This will be the 4th Coopers kite I've done or helped w/so I'm ready for the next step.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I made this kit using Cooper's Authentic IPA recipe:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewer.../authentic-ipa

Followed the directions exact. Only addition was to dry hop with 1oz of Cascade. It came out decent and there was some hop presence but I found it to be more like a slighlty hoppy English Bitter.

Mine did lack a little body so I would recommend adding 8oz of Maltodextrin to the recipe above.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
C-Rider

Recipes 

Everything went smooth I think. Well up until I added the DME to the boiling wort.
Man that stuff turns to a gooy mess the wort really has to be BOILING before it mixes in w/the rest of the wort.

It was hard to get a OG as there was a lot of foam on the top before I added the yeast. Didn't have a turky baster to take a sample so I had to drop hydrometer in the primary. Looks to be about 1.045 which is normal I guess.

Now hope no supper hot Hawaiian days for a few weeks. I'll be using blocks of ice in a tub if it warms up.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
C-Rider

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyx345 View Post
I made this kit using Cooper's Authentic IPA recipe:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewer.../authentic-ipa

Followed the directions exact. Only addition was to dry hop with 1oz of Cascade. It came out decent and there was some hop presence but I found it to be more like a slighlty hoppy English Bitter.

Mine did lack a little body so I would recommend adding 8oz of Maltodextrin to the recipe above.
I stuck to the recipe that came w/the kit. The directions online are a bit different. Wow, dump the LME into the primary and add hot water. Hum, from my adventure hot water would just produce a big gum ball in the primary. Looks to me like boiling is needed.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Everything went smooth I think. Well up until I added the DME to the boiling wort.
Man that stuff turns to a gooy mess the wort really has to be BOILING before it mixes in w/the rest of the wort.

It was hard to get a OG as there was a lot of foam on the top before I added the yeast. Didn't have a turky baster to take a sample so I had to drop hydrometer in the primary. Looks to be about 1.045 which is normal I guess.

Now hope no supper hot Hawaiian days for a few weeks. I'll be using blocks of ice in a tub if it warms up.
I usually add dme before i bring it to a boil it will mix better in room temp water, a wisk is nice too, i always steep or mash then add more water then the dme bring to a boil then add 60 min hops.

Quick Reply