Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Complete beginner seeking a mentor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
ncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thanks for the input Homercidal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #32
jasebrooker
Recipes 

Hi everyone.

So it's nearly time for me to bottle my first ever batch! I managed to get some bottles for free from a local pub (saved a bit of cash there!) and I have my bottling bucket all set up, I've also ordered some starsan so I can make sure everything is sanitised properly. So now I'm good to go I have one last question before i bottle, that is;
According to the destructions I need to put half a teaspoon of sugar in each bottle. Now, I'm going to just mix all the sugar up in some water, put it in the bottling bucket then rack my beer into it. My question is how do I know exactly how much sugar to mix up? My bucket has measurements on but they're not great. (So far on about 3.75 gallons) but there are no increments between the gallon marks. I don't want beer bombs but I don't want to mix to little. What would you all suggest?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

There are some great online priming sugar calculators out there. Here's one: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Here's my take on priming: I like to use just slightly more priming sugar than suggested. As in, when you measure out your amount, don't worry if you use a little extra. Above all else, most ales will require a full three weeks of conditioning in a warm (room temperature), dark location. Inside of a cardboard box on a top shelf of a disused closet is a perfect spot. Bigger beers will require longer conditioning time. So, if you open a bottle in a week and it's flat, remember, told you so. Be patient and let them go the full three weeks. Then, put one or two in the fridge for a full 48 hours and let them chill cold. Cold temperature beer can absorb more CO2 than warm beer, so a good cold crash will help carbonate CO2 trapped in the necks of the bottles. Remember, you can let them warm back up to whichever serving temperature you like, but you might as well get all that CO2 into the beer FIRST before you do that.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
jasebrooker
Recipes 

Ah ok, not heard of chilling them like that so I'll look into that. I'm going to do a bit of math (volume of a cylinder) to get a rough idea and then go from there. If I'm better off waiting 3 weeks I shall need to look into more bottles as there's no way I'll be able to wait until they're all gone to start another brew

Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
jasebrooker
Recipes 

Looking at the calculator in the link aptasia posted, how would I know what volume of CO2 I want? I'm brewing the straight forward Youngs Harvest Bitter; http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/...l#.URkH-iggGc0 and I've done it to be a bit stronger so I've made approx 3.75 gallons

Old 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #36
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasebrooker View Post
Looking at the calculator in the link aptasia posted, how would I know what volume of CO2 I want? I'm brewing the straight forward Youngs Harvest Bitter; http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/...l#.URkH-iggGc0 and I've done it to be a bit stronger so I've made approx 3.75 gallons
British Bitter is about 1.4 volumes

Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
British Bitter is about 1.4 volumes
Draught British Bitters are about 1.0 - 1.5 volumes.

Bottled versions are about 2.25 - 2.5 volumes.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
jasebrooker
Recipes 

Hi everyone.

I thought I'd let you all know how I'm getting on! My first batch is now done and bottled, now for the hard part, waiting!
There have been a couple of things I have noticed that I will try to change when I do my next batch that I was hoping to get some advice on. I planned for 34 bottles but in reality I only got 27 due to the amount of sediment at the bottom. As I planned for 34 bottles I added enough priming sugar for 34 bottles so I'm hoping I don't get bombs! How do you guys figure this in to your priming sugar calculations? Also, can you go straight from fermenting bucket to bottle? I have a bottling bucket which I transferred to but I figure it would make sense to just ferment straight into that, wouldn't cause a problem would it or is it better to rack it anyway?
Any who, thanks for all the advice and help, I think I will have to go and get some more bottles as there is no way I will be able to wait upto a month before getting another brew on !

All the best,

J

image-4292688257.jpg   image-3821552572.jpg  

Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #39
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

The priming sugar should still be close enough. I would, however, suggest that you get those bottles in the dark ASAP! Clear bottles left in the light produce skunked beer.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
jasebrooker
Recipes 

Yeah I have them in a cupboard with at tea towel over the top

Quick Reply