Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Competitions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Magbwa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Competitions

I have a question about homebrew competitions. My first batch is still in primary so I'm really just asking out of general curiosity but I've been doing some research into rules for entering your beer into competition and I haven't seen anything that says it has to be an original recipe. Am I just not looking hard enough or is it common to enter recpies that aren't your own into competitons because as each individual has a slightly different process everyone's beer will be slightly different even if they are going off the same recipe?

Thanks,
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You pretty much summed it up...some people enter original recipes, and some enter other people's (I've done both) a lot of it comes down to like you said, your skills as a brewer.

I try to give credit to the creator of the recipes if I enter it..or at least let them know.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I've seen one competition where everyone brewed the same recipe and I've seen them where it had to be your own recipe, but most of the time it doesn't matter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as it came from your house, and not a commercial place, it's your beer and you can enter it into comps. Here's the link to the competition schedule... Competition Schedule

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply