Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A Comedy of Errors...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #21
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
I'm in the midst of an ESB orgy myself. Years ago I was on the road and had a fresh Fullers ESB on Tap in a bar in Milwaukee and it was love at first taste (by the way not to be confused with Fullers ESB in the bottle which is great but doesn't touch the fresh stuff on tap). Anyway, I think my latest attempt tends to be just a little wee bit too much on the side of residual sweetness after a week or so which I think will mellow out as the stuff conditions. Way too early I know.

ESB's are just an awesome beer. Bitterness of an IPA, maltiness like a Bavarian Ale, and citrus notes of a Hefe. Yum!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #22
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
ESB's are just an awesome beer. Bitterness of an IPA, maltiness like a Bavarian Ale, and citrus notes of a Hefe. Yum!!!!
I agree Toot. Perhaps the perfect swill when it all those flavors coming together in one perfect beer experience. It's all about balance, but reproducing a good one in the homebrew environment could be a life-long pursuit. I suppose a person could spend their live's on other, more productive pursuits (such as working), but would it be half as much fun? I always come up a little bit short on my meager efforts which just eggs me on. Maybe next time! ESB's humble me. I am not worthy...Doesn't stop me from try'in however. Nor does it stop me from drinking my efforts no matter if they fall somewhat short of that memorable fresh Fuller's ESB on tap. Onward! There is always the next batch...

Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #23
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

My ESB carbed in 5 days. WTF??!!!! It's got a HUGE frothy head that nearly overflows a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle with a modest pour. 3 days ago, there was nothing but a little "pfft" and some flat beer. Today, the head is enormous!!!

I was storing them in the basement, probably a touch over 75 degrees. FG was 1.17, IIRC. It had been in secondary for over 3 weeks. It was DONE fermenting.

Am I going to have problems with all this carbonation? I'm guessing I need to get it into the refrigerator stat, eh?'

The only thing I did do was give each of them a very vigorous shake on day 3. Do you think that's what did it?

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-01-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #24
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Here's something weird. I tasted two bottles of beer. One from near the water heater, and one from farther away. The nearer one had twice the carbonation and tasted a lot better than the one that was farther away. Apparently, the extra couple of degrees REALLY mellowed out the flavor and turned the beer into something great.

I am quite impressed by my first attempt. I must confess that the sample I tasted when bottling left me somewhat concerned. The flavors were all peaky, not well integrated. You'd get a big noseful of hops and a huge mouthful of malt and then going down, you'd get alternating tastes. It was quite disappointing. But now, with a little more time, the flavors are integrating nicely and, I'm excited to say, I'm a lot closer to my target than I thought I would be. The hoppy bitterness is right freakin there... exacly what I was shooting for. I just need a little more maltiness and a hint more mouthfeel to achieve perfection.

Quick Reply