Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Combining Citrusy and Piney Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Ouroboros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Combining Citrusy and Piney Hops?

I have been toying with the idea of brewing another IPA at some point, but with a bit more sweetness and maltiness to round it out and a deep red color.

I've looked at recipes here, and some of them feature a single hop while others mix and match. I've also looked at descriptions of hops themselves and come away seeing several general descriptions of hops (earthy, spicy, piney, citrusy). If you mix these "classes" of hops, do the flavors tend to clash with one another, or complement? I want to mix the citrus and the pine... it sounds good at the moment. Seeing how I have very little experience with brewing, I'm not sure if this is wise.

I was thinking equal proportions of citra, centennial, simcoe, and chinook. Any ideas?

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I believe NB Ranger has Simcoe, chinook and Cascade. that would be combining pinny and citrus.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Citrus and Pine, that's what Pliny the Elder is.

This must be how Sarah Silverman's father felt.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 919

I like a mix like simcoe and amarillo or chinook and cascade. Those work well together.

If you mix too many, you can get a "muddy" flavor instead of distinct citrusy/piney, in my opinion.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Hi Ouro,
I agree with Yooper. You don't want to have too many unrelated aromas struggling with each other. Think of your aroma hops as belonging to two groups -- the stars of the show and the supporting actors. Don't give too many unrelated hops the supporting role. The good thing is, those hops you listed are all American hops, and their flavors are somewhat related. Citra and Centennial are both citrusy and resiny, and Chinook and Simcoe and primarily Piney. They may all go well together, but if you are concerned, pick one of those two flavors (citrus or pine) and move most of those hops to an earlier addition. For example, if I were going to add .75 oz of all four hops, but I wanted my beer to have a primarily piney aroma, with a citric support,

15 min
Citra .6
Centennial .6
Simcoe .15
Chinook .15

Flameout
Citra .15
Centennial .15
Simcoe .6
Chinook .6

When you're developing a recipe or working with an unfamiliar hop, make a tea out of hops in the ratios you're considering for the aroma addition. The water only needs to be 120-160F to get the aromas going. If there's a conflict, you'll smell it and taste it. If you want to see how the earlier additions will affect flavor, just boil some water in a pot and add hops to simulate the last 30 minutes of your boil. These teas will taste super bitter without any malt to balance things out, but you'll be able to isolate flavor and aroma conflicts ahead of time.

The only real line in the sand not to cross is when mixing resinous American hops with Spicy Noble hops. Don't put equal amounts of Saaz and Cascade at flameout, for example. The flavors will struggle against each other. But if you give one hop a supporting role, the mix can be nice. I brewed a strong golden ale with

1 oz Saaz 30 min
1 oz Saaz 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
1.25 oz Amarillo Flameout,

giving the Saaz the backseat to the Amarillo. It's great! Tastes kind of like an herbed orange sauce you might put on duck. But my OG was 1.073. I don't think a smaller beer would have supported this funky flavor.

Quick Reply