Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Collect runnings now, boil later?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Collect runnings now, boil later?

So usually it takes me about 5.5 - 6 hours to brew, but I've got a softball game (with beer of course) today in the middle of the day. Is it okay if I do my mash and collect all my runnings in the bucket now, then take a 3-4 hour break and boil it this evening? Any negatives?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The one problem with that is you may develop an infection during that time. Of course you would kill it off when you boiled but it might already have created a funk by then. It is actually one of the shortcuts to try to simulate a sour beer. If you are able to heat it just to pasteurize it before you leave it for a few hours and keep the lid on, then come back and do your boil you should be fine. Just bring it to a momentary boil, and it should take so long to cool that it will pasteurize it.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply