Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold weather fernenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
cdub2103
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys,

I'm brewing for a second time, an Irish Red extract brew. My concern is that it's about 8 degrees up here in the north east and my old, creaky Boston apartment can't keep my fermentation area (aka closet) much above 58 degrees at times.

My recipe call for a range of 60 to 70 degrees, so I'm not pushing it to far.

Should I just expect slower, less vigorous fermentation? Or should I make an effort to get that temperature up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The temps during fermentation rise as much as 10 degrees. You should be fine around 58. I just fermented in 48 degrees for an IPA with 1056 yeast. Was slower but its almost done after 1 week.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
AWNbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Dont mess around with the temps to much. Just let it be and let it do what it does. With it being colder it may just take longer to ferment, adjusting the temps and causing big swings in temperature while fermenting can cause some serious "off" flavors (words of experience). The only thing that concerns me is I guess it [I]could[I] cause stuck fermentation. Just leave it alone and check the SG every so often to see if its getting to the appropriate gravity reading. The Irish Red ale is a dang good beer bty.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
cdub2103
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. I'll let it be for the time being, but in the event of a "stuck fermentation" do you have any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another inexpensive option is to buy a 18-20 gallon bucket from Home Depot, fill it with water, and get yourself a fish tank heater. Put the fermenter in the larger bucket and fill the bucket with water so it's just below the level of the fermenting beer. This is what I've done (also cold here in CT...especially this week!) and I think it has been doing a pretty decent job of keeping the fermenting beer at a stable temp. Amazon has some pretty cheap heaters...mine is a 100 watt, and make sure it has temperature control, not just a single set temp. For 20-30 bucks you should be able to keep the temps a higher and pretty stable.

I may also put a little fish tank bubbler in the outer bucket to move the water around a little because the heater turns off when the water around it is at the set point, so the water on the opposite side isn't quite as warm.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get one of the heat belt thingys maybe?

But really it sounds like with the lower temps you may have more of an opportunity than a hindrance

Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
CTS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From my experiences the lower the ferment temp the better the beer taste in the end.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You want to keep it as clean as possible for that style. Fermentation will get you above 60 once it gets going. I'd pitch around 63 to let it start warm and wrap it with a blanket. Once fermentation gets going (only a few hours if you pitch properly), you can ditch the blanket and let it go cool to keep the clean profile the style is know for.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Quick Reply