Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold towards the end...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
MichaelBanjelo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 2
Default Cold towards the end...

Hello.....rookie here....great forum.

anyways,

It's still cold out here so I've been doing my beer inside (as opposed to the garage). Bottling time is coming up soon and if my girl catches me bottling beer over the carpet I'm not sure what she'd do...

So if I move the carboy out to the garage and let it settle before bottling, will the crash in temps (it's near freezing out there) affect the flavor of my ale?

__________________
MichaelBanjelo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
brewit2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 845
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

No, it will be fine. Just make sure you bring it back inside to bottle condition. By the way, do you have carpeting in your kitchen or was there some reason you were planning on bottling in the living room?

__________________

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheapest-new-2-keg-keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

brewit2it is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
TheSeether
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fargo, AK
Posts: 222
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Cold crashing is often used to clarify beer immediately before bottling. I would try to make the transfer to the bottling bucket an inside sport just to reduce the possibility of infection due to exposure to outdoor air. Granted, indoor air is often of lower quality than outdoor air and this time of year sees the least contaminants wafting in the air. Once moved to the bottling bucket I would let the sucker sit in the cold for a couple hours prior to bottling specifically to cold crash it.

__________________
Bottled/Drinking - Dirty Blonde Cutthroat
Bottled/Conditioning - Cupid's Black Heart Baltic Porter
TheSeether is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 921
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Cold crashing...do it with most of my beer.

Get a giant sheet of plastic so you can bottle over the carpet. No sense freezing in the garage. Just make sure to transfer to your bottling bucket in the garage so you don't disturb the trub by moving the carboy.

__________________

BN Army for Life!!!

stevo155 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
MichaelBanjelo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the fast responses....

Not a problem, but actually beneficial! Bonus!

__________________
MichaelBanjelo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
brewit2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 845
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
Cold crashing...do it with most of my beer.

Get a giant sheet of plastic so you can bottle over the carpet. No sense freezing in the garage. Just make sure to transfer to your bottling bucket in the garage so you don't disturb the trub by moving the carboy.
Huh? If you are suggesting he bottle in the house why on earch would he take the beer out to the garage to rack to his bottling bucket?

But again, bottle in your garage, bottle in your house, wont make any difference, but if you're worried about the mess take it out ot the garage. You're going to have to leave it out there a lot longer than a couple hours to cold crash it. You could take it out now and bottle it tomorrow or in a couple days if you want to cold crash it.
__________________

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheapest-new-2-keg-keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

brewit2it is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 6,640
Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
Huh? If you are suggesting he bottle in the house why on earch would he take the beer out to the garage to rack to his bottling bucket?

But again, bottle in your garage, bottle in your house, wont make any difference, but if you're worried about the mess take it out ot the garage. You're going to have to leave it out there a lot longer than a couple hours to cold crash it. You could take it out now and bottle it tomorrow or in a couple days if you want to cold crash it.
He probably takes the beer out to the garage to transfer to the bottling bucket because he's a dumb-ass like me and will leave the spigot open just far enough to spill a gallon of beer on the floor. It would be no problem in the garage, it was only a minor problem on my kitchen linoleum but on carpet it would be a disaster.

I spent over an hour sopping up the beer and scrubbing the floor so the wife wouldn't know how bad it smelled (to her, she hates the smell of beer).
__________________
RM-MN is online now
christauff Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
brewit2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 845
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
He probably takes the beer out to the garage to transfer to the bottling bucket because he's a dumb-ass like me and will leave the spigot open just far enough to spill a gallon of beer on the floor. It would be no problem in the garage, it was only a minor problem on my kitchen linoleum but on carpet it would be a disaster.

I spent over an hour sopping up the beer and scrubbing the floor so the wife wouldn't know how bad it smelled (to her, she hates the smell of beer).
I always spill a bunch too. I know some have suggested bottling over an opened dishwasher door which is a cute idea. The probelm for me is then the damn dishwasher door is in the way so I just put towels on teh ground and any part the towels miss the dog takes care of
__________________

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheapest-new-2-keg-keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

brewit2it is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Gitana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sunny Florida!
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
The probelm for me is then the damn dishwasher door is in the way so I just put towels on teh ground and any part the towels miss the dog takes care of
I can see the dog moving the towels on purpose..... lucky dog!
__________________
Gitana is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 921
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
Huh? If you are suggesting he bottle in the house why on earch would he take the beer out to the garage to rack to his bottling bucket?
What I was saying is if it is in the cold garage already but he's going to bottle in the house, to transfer it to the bottling bucket first so as not to disturb the yeast and trub that settled to the bottom. Carrying the carboy into the house then transferring would probably stir that stuff up.
__________________

BN Army for Life!!!

stevo155 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must brew be *kept* cold after cold crash? sensibull Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 11-05-2010 07:18 PM
Cold Outside - Cold Crash???? akthor Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-02-2010 05:04 PM
Ale fermentation temps: how cold is too cold? Sol Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-02-2010 02:03 AM
Whoa Nellie - cold wort, cold water...what to do? kcpup Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 12-01-2009 12:09 PM
Cold Crashing.... How Cold? efreem01 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-20-2007 01:41 PM