The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold storage after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
VillageBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cold storage after bottling

First winter as a noob brewer. SWMBO is starting to get on me about all the cases of beer being stacked in the corners of the rooms, under the bed, in the closets, and behind the clothes hampers throughout the house. After keeping my bottles in the house for several weeks at around 70 degrees to get them carbed, whould it be fine to transfer to my attached garage that does not have a constant temperature? At this time of year the temps will fluctuate, but will not get above 70 and will not be below 50.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think it'll be fine. I did a little experiment last winter. I use a programmable thermostat at home, which drops temps to 55 when I'm not at home and then up to 65 in the evening and back down again at night.

I brewed a double IPA. When it was bottled, I brought a sixer to the office where it's always 70ish, and left it in a cabinet for a month. Then I tried a home-carbed beer side by side with the office carbed beer and they were identical. No problems with carbing in the chilly house.

Of course, YMMV.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

I think it's important to let them sit at around 70 for maybe a few weeks, but by then, any clean up of the yeast and carbonation will likely have happened. After that, I would recommend keeping them as col as you can without freezing. The warmer the temperature, the faster the beer will age.

Quick Reply