Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Crashing too high maintenence...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
ballsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Cold Crashing too high maintenence...

Unless I buy a temp controlled fridge/freezer with temp set at 32....doing this in a swamp cooler is just not worth my time, effort, and money. It requires WAY too much ice to be continuously added (which adds to the cost....a bag is roughly $2 and if ur gonna crash for over 48hrs, this is about 4 bags/day at least to keep the water down towards low-mid 30's). Honestly, I tried this for first time and got fed up with adding tons of ice so I think the temp only stayed at around 40deg's for most part. I really don't think the beer looked all that much clearer either, am I missing something here? I think I will either t-fer to secondary for clearing vs not do it at all from now on and just have more junk at the bottom of the bottle.

Primary#1: Empty
Primary#2: Empty
Primary#3:
On deck: BM's Centennial Blonde, Janet's Brown
Keg 1: Deadringer ale
Keg 2:Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
GingerFlock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What I do (and I get pretty good clarity) is invest in a immersion chiller with a pre-chiller. This lets me crash the hot wort quick, then pitch the yeast. I wait for the fermentation to settle in the primary, then rack to secondary, where I leave it for 2-4 weeks (depending on style) to clear up. Then keg it!

Keg 2: --
On Deck: Ewe-ltide
"Anything but herd beer-havior."
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1588 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 2881

I use ICE to top off and chill, my stuff is CLEAR!

I don't like the idea of cold crashing.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I secondary for 2 months usually but only cold crash when the weather lets me do it in the garage.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 669 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I think the OP is talking about cold-crashing well after fermentation has completed, but a couple of responses appear to describe chilling the wort post-boil, before pitching the yeast.

Also, racking to secondary will not help clarity. In fact, it will mix already-precipitating sediment back into uniform solution, resulting in cloudier beer, not clearer beer.

That said, I agree with the OP. If the only method you have to cold-crash is swapping ice in a water bath, I can see how that would be a huge hassle, and of limited effectiveness. I cold-crash in a refrigerator, and it makes a big difference. I put the carboy in the fridge, give it a day to cool down, then hit it with a gelatin solution and give that 3-4 more days to work.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I use ICE to top off and chill, my stuff is CLEAR!

I don't like the idea of cold crashing.
Can you elaborate on your process and sanitation procedures? Been thinking about using ice to top off but I'm not sure how do it. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I put my Mr. Beer LBK in the fridge for 4 days this last batch to see what'll happen. It'll be the first time I cold crash. I figure I ought to try everything at least once.

Cold Crashing sure seems like too high maintenance to *me* and I haven't read enough to convince me of its necessity.

I

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1588 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 2881

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
Can you elaborate on your process and sanitation procedures? Been thinking about using ice to top off but I'm not sure how do it. Thanks!
I now use Kroger (supermarket) ice since it is advertised to be pure as hell and has done fine for my last 5 brews.

I get my boil down to well....low enough for the 21lb ice bag to top it up to 5 gallons.

This isn't OT because it eliminates the need to cold crash post fermentation.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IMO if you don't plan on entering it in a competition, why fret about how clear the beer is? Don't get me wrong, I too want to give cold crashing a go but Im going to wait until I can get a seperate fridge/ freezer for that, because you're right an ice bath for cold crashing would suck to maintain. For now I just rack to the keg set that baby to 12 psi and chill for a week at around 40 degrees or so.

I say wait until that free/cheap fridge/freezer pops up on CL and then give it a go. Thats my plan

Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
ballsy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan42 View Post
IMO if you don't plan on entering it in a competition, why fret about how clear the beer is? Don't get me wrong, I too want to give cold crashing a go but Im going to wait until I can get a seperate fridge/ freezer for that, because you're right an ice bath for cold crashing would suck to maintain. For now I just rack to the keg set that baby to 12 psi and chill for a week at around 40 degrees or so.

I say wait until that free/cheap fridge/freezer pops up on CL and then give it a go. Thats my plan
Thanks for feedback. I do 5gal batches so tossing in a normal fridge (like Mr Beer kits) is not option. Maybe someday I will find a separate Keezer with temp control, but I am still new to brewing so that would be overkill. I was thinking it would lead to less crap at bottom of bottle as the benefit after beer which have been dry hopped, etc...adding to junk in the ferment bucket. Then again I could stop siphoning a little earlier I guess too so as to get less of that bottom crap.

Primary#1: Empty
Primary#2: Empty
Primary#3:
On deck: BM's Centennial Blonde, Janet's Brown
Keg 1: Deadringer ale
Keg 2:Empty

Quick Reply