Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cold crashing tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
bullinachinashop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Cold crash for a day, keg it, add geletin if it's not already clear or if you want to drink it sooner, force carb it and serve it this weekend.

Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My advice? FWIW, I would just stop pitching yeast and stop wondering what will happen if you do this or that. You want the beer, it's basically ready to go so just keg and carb and see what happens. This is one way of learning.

Other options: You could try rousing the yeast that has fallen out of suspension by gently swirling the carboy. You could also try very gently raising the temperature (I use a heating pad in my fermentation cupboard for this purpose.)

As for cold crashing being necessary? No, it's not. It will help clear your beer, for sure, and do a good job of it but you don't need it. I keg and I do it every time but that is only because with my set up (sankey kegs) it makes the transfer to keg MUCH easier with cold beer and will carb much faster at lower temps as well.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
9am53
Recipes 

yeah, I figure I have done all I can, and been patient. Maybe this mornings pitch will get me down to 1010, which would be great, but either way I am drinking it this weekend. Thanks guys.

The point of this thread was just to see if cold crashing when things aren't completely done would impart estery tastes, but I guess it won't, so thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're kegging there is really no need for a cold crash...the keg will sit at 30 ish degrees till it's empty. You're essentially cold crashing it long term. Just transfer to keg and add co2.

Whether it sits under pressure or no pressure it's going to take the same amount of time to clear it. You can start drinking it earlier this way, plus you'll get to see how much clearer each pint gets week after week.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
9am53
Recipes 

so I stuck my carboy in the keezer yesterday...but I couldn't le,ave well enough alone. I thought it would be better if the thermocouple was inside the freezer instead of in the wall, so I started drilling a hold in the back and guess what I did? I cut through a freezer coil! so I cleaned it off and JB welded it, the leak seems to be sealed, but I think I lost enough refrigerant that it runs but doesn't cool. So, I have to get my refrigeration buddy to come refill me lol

Quick Reply