Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crashing question:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerex View Post
So, to be clear, you ferment primary, sit in secondary, cold crash (a couple of days), then keg? Do you keep the keg cold? Or bring the keg back up to ferm temp for conditioning/aging?
Some secondary, I don't unless it's a huge beer (e.g. Barleywine). I drop primary to 30f for 2-3 days after fermentation is complete, then keg and store and carb at serving temp, which for me is 42f.

No problem with storing/aging at a higher temp, I do that at 55f.

_

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Does cold crashing result in slower carbonation? I have cold crashed a couple fo beers of late and it seems those have taken longer to carb than non cold crashed beers. I drag my auto-siphon through the cake just a little to get some of the yeast from the cake.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
bechard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just cold crashed my brown ale (5.5% ABV) for two days prior to bottling, and today is three weeks of conditioning at 70F. Tomorrow I'll find out if they are fully carbed, as they were half way last week.

If cold crashing and bottling, expect an additional week due to the lower yeast numbers.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Cold crashing can also be used to purposely keep fermentables in the beer to keep it sweet. This is most commonly used when you want a real fruit flavor in your beer. Instead of letting the yeast completely ferment the sugars of, say, real raspberry juice, you could ferment out the beer, add the raspberry juice to the keg, cold crash so the yeast hibernate and don't ferment out the juice, and force carbonate. Cold condition for 3-4 weeks, then you'll still have the sugars you want in your final product.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Cold crashing can also be used to purposely keep fermentables in the beer to keep it sweet. This is most commonly used when you want a real fruit flavor in your beer. Instead of letting the yeast completely ferment the sugars of, say, real raspberry juice, you could ferment out the beer, add the raspberry juice to the keg, cold crash so the yeast hibernate and don't ferment out the juice, and force carbonate. Cold condition for 3-4 weeks, then you'll still have the sugars you want in your final product.
This sounds like a good idea. Would this work to sweeten an Apfelwein if you were to keg it? Such as add some apple juice to the carboy, cold crash, and then keg and force carb?

I'm guessing that as long as everything stays cold (~40 degrees), then the yeast will stay dormant.

Also, is it necessary to cold crash for a couple of days? Or is 24hrs sufficient?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yup, would work for an Apfelwein....this is a common hard cider technique.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry to revive this thread. Just a quick question on cold crashing. Bobby mentioned that the purpose for this is so that the yeast can floc out faster before kegging.

I am able to cold crash in my currently empty keezer, however lifting the carboy out of the keezer will cause turbulance and shaking of the yeast a bit. Does this mean that my 48 hours of cold crashing rendered useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman
Sorry to revive this thread. Just a quick question on cold crashing. Bobby mentioned that the purpose for this is so that the yeast can floc out faster before kegging.

I am able to cold crash in my currently empty keezer, however lifting the carboy out of the keezer will cause turbulance and shaking of the yeast a bit. Does this mean that my 48 hours of cold crashing rendered useless?
No, it will settle in time for you to bottle. I do this with every batch. Liquid will remain cold and yeast is already in the hibernation stage so it just settles back down .

Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzfest05

No, it will settle in time for you to bottle. I do this with every batch. Liquid will remain cold and yeast is already in the hibernation stage so it just settles back down .
I'll probably be kegging, how long do you think I'll need to let the Carboy sit before siphoning into the keg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Few hours I do my sanitizing and get things ready .

Quick Reply