Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crashing not clearing up beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
goodsuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Cold crashing not clearing up beer

I'm trying to cold crash my most recent batch of beer and it doesn't seem to be clearing up. I've had it in the fridge at about 34*F for 3 days. It fermented for about 6 days at 66*F and I let it sit for another 9 days before I put it in the fridge. I can see a lot of the hop trub has fallen and there is only a little bit floating on top of it, but the beer itself actually looks more cloudy than before. My original plan was to take it out tomorrow evening to bottle so I could brew a new batch on Saturday.

Is 3-4 days not enough time to give it? It's my first time cold crashing so I'm not sure what to expect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Sounds like chill haze to me. What's your method of cooling after the boil?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
Sounds like chill haze to me. What's your method of cooling after the boil?
I put my aluminum kettle in a sink full of ice and add cold water. I can get it chilled to pitching temp in less than 15 minutes, at least on partial volume extract boils like this one.

I also used whirlfloc in the boil, added at the last 5 minutes. I know you don't really need it with extract brews, but I was just trying it to see if it would help, or if it had any negative effects. Figured I'd rather try it on yellow fizz water than a good IPA!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you have any steeping grains? If i remember from what i read correctly, chill haze I'd caused by a tannin-protien combo that precipitates at cooler temps. poor a bit in a glass and wait for it to warm up. If it clears up, then at least you've diagnosed your problem.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts

6 days fermenting and 9 more days, even with cold crashing is not enough time for it to clear up IMO, do you keg? If so you can throw some gelatin finings in and keg it, let it sit for another 2 weeks

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
Did you have any steeping grains? If i remember from what i read correctly, chill haze I'd caused by a tannin-protien combo that precipitates at cooler temps. poor a bit in a glass and wait for it to warm up. If it clears up, then at least you've diagnosed your problem.
Nope, this is about as basic a kit as you can get, except for maybe a Cooper's kit. It was a 20 minute boil kit from Midwest.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts

If you need the fermenter and the problem is chill haze, you could go ahead and bottle. The chill haze will clear up in the bottles after 2 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNningonbrew View Post
6 days fermenting and 9 more days, even with cold crashing is not enough time for it to clear up IMO, do you keg? If so you can throw some gelatin finings in and keg it, let it sit for another 2 weeks
Well, it's been almost 3 weeks total (brew day was 8/25). It was actually 16 days now that I think of it, before I put it in the fridge. I normally go at least 3 weeks in the primary but this it is a really "small" beer. I think the OG was like 1.040 and it finished around 1.011.

I don't have a real keg, but this will be going into my Tap-a-Draft. The problem is I don't have a bottling bucket as I rack it from the spigot on my fermenter. I guess I could add the finings to the TAD bottles and just divvy it up between them.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since I don't have a bottling bucket and this is in the primary, can I add gelatin to the primary before bottling, or would I pour it into my Tap-a-Draft bottles and rack the beer on top of it? I'm assuming the latter since I can't really see it doing anything if I dump it in the primary.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts

The gelatin might cause the yeast to settle out so I wouldn't recommend using it before bottling

Quick Reply