Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Crashing an IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Cold Crashing an IPA

I've never cold crashed before but want to experiment with making clearer beers. I've searched and read differing opinions on the duration of cold crashing. So how long should I do it, 24 hrs, 48, a week?

Also, I read where someone said the cold crashing will take some hop bitterness from the beer. Seeing I'm crashing an IPA I really don't want that. Thoughts?

Thanks!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I cold crash whenever I can and add isenglass as well. I started doing both of those when the kegging system got set up and I've had wonderfully clear beers.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
BuddyWeiser
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not sure about the bitterness issue. I normally cold crash for a couple days. If you go longer, then maybe you'd have less yeast in your end product when kegging/force carb'ing with CO2. When bottle conditioning, the yeast seems to continue growing in the bottles, so I feel it's kind of a moot point.

I also use irish moss in the boil and gelatin at or around the same time as cold crashing, and get wonderfully clear beers myself. I use one clear bottle per batch (like Corona) to gauge/test my clarity. The clear bottle works well because you don't have to pour it out/risk disturbing the yeast on the bottom. This is also the first beer I drink.

RDWHAPBR

Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I cold crash/secondary all at the same time really. Once I move to secondary, I'll let it sit a few days, or a week, and let anymore clean up take place that is to be done, and then I plop it in the keezer. 39* and it'll clear up within a few days. Also doubles that I can carb it faster and easier when it's cold. Rack it over cold to the keg and it's ready to be put in line.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 for cold crashing. Usually for a couple days depending on my schedule. No hop reduction noticed.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. My ferm chamber is heading down to 35 degrees as I type

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
jaytizzle
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I cold crash as well. Generally every beer that I make I will cold crash for at least 48 hours, if not 72, then either rack to secondary (for clarification or fruit or dry hopping or whatever) or keg. If I rack to secondary, I will run another cold crash. My beers have been much clearer as a result. I've cold crashed a couple of IPAs and not noticed any dropoff in bitterness.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I use irish moss, but it just hasn't seemed to really do much, maybe a little clearer at best. We'll see how crashing works.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
jaytizzle
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I always try to use whirlfloc in my brews (same result as irish moss) and it doesn't do enough on its own. I find that cold crashing really makes a difference, especially since it reduces the amount of trub that I pick up when racking so I'm less likely to clog my keg dip tube.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used Irish moss, but doing two 5 gal brews one with one without I found no difference. Last summer I dumped the moss out in the compost and the brews remain the same (real good)clear is a result of technique and not a additive

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Quick Reply