The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cold crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
triplehops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 41

Default cold crashing

Can someone explain why one would cold crash your beer and when.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

If you have a lot of yeast still in suspension, clouding up your beer. Some yeasts don't flocculate out that well and need encouragement.

To cold crash, place your beer in a fridge or drop freezer with an external temperature controller and drop the temperature down to 40 degrees for a few days prior to when you plan to bottle the beer. This encourages yeast to go dormant, floc out of solution and settle to the bottom of the fermenter onto the trub. It's not always necessary to do this but some yeasts seem to require a little wrangling to get the beer to clear up.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm cold crashing an ipa right now to get the dry hops to sink to the bottom of the fermenter before i bottle. Cold crashing also helps compact the yeast cake and trub which helps keep them out of your bottles.

I'm cold crashing in my swamp cooler with 1gal blocks of ice.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
i_heart_beer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a beer c/c now too, any ill effects if it happen to freeze? ( not freeze solid, but slushy/frozen)?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 588

A week before kegging, I move the carboy into my fridge. 2 days later, I hit it with a 1/2 tablespoon of gelatin dissolved in a cup of 150° F water. 5 days later, I rack into a keg and begin carbing.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a converted freezer I use as a chamber, and I drop my temp down to ~30. With the added alcohol in there, no fear of freezing. Beware of suckback and prepare for it. Takes about 2-3 days and that trub in the bottom is rock solid. Added benefit is the beer is already cold so that is a head start on force carbing.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
i_heart_beer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can i prime and bottle while still cold, or do i need to let the beer get to room temp?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

you can prime and bottle with it cold just store the bottles at 70 after you bottle.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
YeastHerder
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I experimented with cold crashing and found that 1/4tsp per gallon in ~150F water works well (a bit hotter than the hottest tap water). It is critical that you 1) get the beer cold for >24hrs before adding the gelatin, and 2) actually get the gelatin to dissolve before adding it to the beer. This latter bit can be harder than it seems because the gelatin turns translucent once it is wet.

If you cold crash and are relying on bottle conditioning, the longer you cold crash, the longer it will take for your beer to carb. Without cold crashing, it usually takes me 2 weeks for beers to be fully carbed. With cold crashing, it takes 3 to even 4 weeks for beers to be fully carbed. So, just be patient.

That said, if you are bottle conditioning, I suggest skipping the cold crashing step and using whirlfloc in every boil instead. Roughly the same thing (cold crash) happens when you store your carbed bottles in the fridge and because you are bottle conditioning, there is no way to avoid having crud in the bottom of bottles anyway. IMHO...

Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
i_heart_beer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I did buy some Irish moss for my next batch, is that just as good as whirlflock? What about combining that with a cold crash? Doubly clear? And of course, thanks again for the great info and speedy replies, much appreciated!

Quick Reply