Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Crashing?????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
stoneyts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Cold Crashing?????

I've been seeing the process " cold crashing" mentioned a lot here and am unclear about what it means. Tried to search but couldn't get an understanding of its purpose. I am currently dry hopping a Citra pale ale. I forgot to add the irish moss to help clear it. When I added the hops for dry hopping I checked the the beer temp and it was @ approx 72* and the SG was at 1.012. When /how and do I need to "cold crash" this beer? I need to double check the SG on Friday as this will be the 5th day of dry hopping and I plan on bottling it on Sunday so any suggestion on how to proceed would be welcomed.Thanks in advance!!!

Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Dido I have no idea what this is.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Cold crashing is for clearing the beer once fermentation is complete. Stick the fermenting container in a fridge for 1-7 days (or longer) and the yeast will settle out of suspension. I rarely resort to cold crashing myself. but it can be very useful...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

At the end of the ferment the yeast normally clump up and settle to the bottom of the fermenter. This normally takes some time so if you are kegging the beer you need to wait for the yeast to settle or you draw off beer with yeast making the beer cloudy. By chilling the beer in the fermenter the yeast settle out much faster and you can transfer to the keg sooner without the yeast.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

In short!

It can be either done in the secondary or in the keg!
It's a process of clearing the beer up by using coldness:-) a fridge or outside non-freezing winter temps. It allows the beer to become uncloudy or less cloudy.
Done before keg'n or bottling. I typically allow mine to set in keg for 2-3 weeks before I drink.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It can also help reduce the sediment in your bottles.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
guldalian
Recipes 

To cold crash, just put the fermenter in the fridge. I've heard of people leaving it in there for 24 hours up to a week. It's like a really short lager, but it's purpose is not to cold condition, just to precipitate out yeast and other particles.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
stoneyts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So it is done more when kegging than bottling? My beer has been in my primary for what will be 2 wks on Sunday. I'm guessing the SG will be good come Sunday as the FG the kit was targeting is 1.021. If my SG is still the same as the last I'm understanding that it is done fermenting and ready to be racked to the bottling bucket for priming and bottling. Am I on the right track timeline wise? The kit OG was supposed to be 1.075 and I had 1.064. I'm not sure why it was low but think it was a lack of proper blending of the water I topped up to when transferred to the fermenter.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
guldalian
Recipes 

You can cold crash with bottling. Just bring it back to 65-70, then rack to bottling bucket with primer and bottle away.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyts View Post
So it is done more when kegging than bottling? My beer has been in my primary for what will be 2 wks on Sunday. I'm guessing the SG will be good come Sunday as the FG the kit was targeting is 1.021. If my SG is still the same as the last I'm understanding that it is done fermenting and ready to be racked to the bottling bucket for priming and bottling. Am I on the right track timeline wise? The kit OG was supposed to be 1.075 and I had 1.064. I'm not sure why it was low but think it was a lack of proper blending of the water I topped up to when transferred to the fermenter.
With a beer with an OG that high I would wait longer before bottling. I think you would get better beer that way. The only rush is so you can drink poor beer sooner instead of giving it more time to mature and drink it when it is better.

Quick Reply