Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crash? Yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
brewmathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Little confused. By dropping yeast out of suspension when cold crashing, does this negatively affect the aging process in the bottle/keg. My beers always taste better after 2 or 3 weeks and I always thought this was the yeast still doing their job. I understand the clearer beer but isn't the yeast still important. I have never cold crashed before ( still a newbie), but was considering for my next beers. Want to understand the pros and cons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 99

No cons but effort. There are always enough yeast in suspension.

Primary: 1/2bbl Session Saison

Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
GibbyGibson
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwig
I think there's a difference in yeast flavors based on the clarity of the beer (as a hefe drinker might tell you) but I think as long as your bottling practices are good and you cold condition the bottles, pour your glasses well, etc., the differences aren't so big. Given that it's winter, I cold condition everything. Otherwise I uh, "cool" condition. Gotta get another fridge.
I have no idea how good my bottling practices are. I'm guessing somewhere between Not Good to Really Not Good.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmathew
Little confused. By dropping yeast out of suspension when cold crashing, does this negatively affect the aging process in the bottle/keg. My beers always taste better after 2 or 3 weeks and I always thought this was the yeast still doing their job. I understand the clearer beer but isn't the yeast still important. I have never cold crashed before ( still a newbie), but was considering for my next beers. Want to understand the pros and cons.
A lot of that is from natural chemical reactions in the beer an not just the yeast. Also, If there's enough to carb, there is enough to clean up. When you crash you're dropping a lot of other dissolved solids out of solution - not just yeast.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmathew View Post
I have never cold crashed before ( still a newbie), but was considering for my next beers. Want to understand the pros and cons.

The only con is that you have to wait a little bit longer.

If you have the equipment to do so, IMO it's a no-brainer.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've cold crashed the last 7 beers I've brewed. Added geletin after the beer got down to 34.

All I can say is.... before doing this I always had cloudy beer. All 7 of these turned out to be as clear as any commercial, filtered beer.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyGibson View Post
I have no idea how good my bottling practices are. I'm guessing somewhere between Not Good to Really Not Good.
Mostly I mean trub. I accidentally dumped a bit of my cake into my bottling bucket a few brews ago, and I wasn't able to cold crash. I got a lot more sediment in my bottles than usual. As it was a high-carbed beer, the bombers and 750s really stirred up the sediment when they were opened before you could pour it all, so a lot of that wound up in the glass, flavors and all--cold conditioning the bottles didn't really help at that point. Along with bulk cold conditioning keeping trub out of the bottling bucket is one of my big focuses when I'm bottling now, and it's definitely improved the beer.

I bottled a blonde saison last night after leaving it outside for about 24 hours. It's 25-30 here right now at night, but it's higher ABV so it won't freeze over ~20. I used a little gelatin, and it looked sparkling, almost like a lager. The cake was pretty firm, so it was easy.

Quick Reply