Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crash temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
BubbaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold crash temps

I'm cold crashing a True Blue Canadian Ale kit before bottling. I've stuck fermenters in the garage during the winter overnight and drop down to about 50F but haven't cold crashed in a fridge yet. I have a modified soda machine that my fermenter fits into. Whats a good cold crash temp and for how long? I keep this machine cold... just above freezing. I don't want to damage the yeasts left as I'm going to be bottle conditioning. I plan on Bottling on Sunday and I just put it in the machine Friday morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaK View Post
I'm cold crashing a True Blue Canadian Ale kit before bottling. I've stuck fermenters in the garage during the winter overnight and drop down to about 50F but haven't cold crashed in a fridge yet. I have a modified soda machine that my fermenter fits into. Whats a good cold crash temp and for how long? I keep this machine cold... just above freezing. I don't want to damage the yeasts left as I'm going to be bottle conditioning. I plan on Bottling on Sunday and I just put it in the machine Friday morning.
I cold crash for a week @ about 40, but I keg and don't need to worry about dropping out too much of the yeast

I know with a true Lager sometimes you have to add yeast into the brew before you bottle because too much of it will have dropped out to be able to bottle carbonate

I could see the same thing happening with Ale yeast

Sorry, I know that doesn't help

Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do mine at about 40 deg. for a week and my ales carb up fine.

Quick Reply