Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crash question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
NJtuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold crash question

Hey, I have a Kolsch fermenting now and would like to cold crash for a few days before kegging. Is it ok to cold crash while in the secondary, then keg under some Co2 to condition for 2-3 weeks at room temp.? Will this effect the taste going from 60's ferm. temp., to 30's cold crash, 60's condition, then back to 30's for tap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

That's what most of us do. The beer still needs to condition after you cold crash.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
NJtuna
Recipes 

ok, thx. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to bring back to room temp. after being chilled for a few days. Thought I might have to cold condition, which I read takes longer.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

what type of beers are normally cold crashed? or is this good to do with all types?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Depends on how much yeast you care to fall out per your style. The colder you get (before freezing) the more yeast fall out. An alternative (or an addition) to filtering.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
MasterWan
Recipes 

So another couple question here then. When do you cold crash? Right after primary when you rack over to a secondary?
How is cold crashing different than just sticking your conditioned beer in a brew keg and into your kegerator after secondary? Shouldn't it do the same thing?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWan View Post
So another couple question here then. When do you cold crash? Right after primary when you rack over to a secondary?
How is cold crashing different than just sticking your conditioned beer in a brew keg and into your kegerator after secondary? Shouldn't it do the same thing?
I crash the beer after 3-4 weeks in primary I don't secondary any of my beers except lagers . Also I don't crash wits or Hefe's

Cold crashing in my case is around 33° so its colder than what I drink at and is much faster than warmer temps, if you do it prior to kegging then there is less trub in the keg.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
MasterWan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I crash the beer after 3-4 weeks in primary I don't secondary any of my beers except lagers . Also I don't crash wits or Hefe's

Cold crashing in my case is around 33° so its colder than what I drink at and is much faster than warmer temps, if you do it prior to kegging then there is less trub in the keg.
Cool. So do you just set your refrigerator to really cold or do you have another method for doing this? Thanks for the answers, I am definently going to do this.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, the difference would be that it would still be sitting on all of that yeast that would fall out during the cold crashing. It could impart some flavor. But now that I reread what you said, I think you might have meant doing that after secondary when most of the yeast would already have been taken out of the beer. Is this correct?

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Cool. So do you just set your refrigerator to really cold or do you have another method for doing this? Thanks for the answers, I am definently going to do this.
I have a chest feezer with a Love temp controller I just set them in and lower the setting

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply