The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Crash prior to kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Cold Crash prior to kegging

I haven't cooled my beer prior to kegging because I didn't have a place in the refrigerator that would hold a carboy.

However, I just bought a small chest freezer with temp control, so cold crashing is now an option.

How long? How cold? Is the only advantage to help clear the beer (in other words, no reason to do it on wheat beers or very dark beers)?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
MgMt_Home_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you really just want it as cold as you will be serving it. I typically did it for a couple days.

There are a couple advantages besides clearing. The trub and yeast cake also compacts really nicely which is nice when syphoning. Also the cold beer will absorb the CO2 easier so you can force carb it down around 8-12 PSI instead of 25-28 psi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply