*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To cold crash or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Towndrunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To cold crash or not?

I am planning on bottling my first home brew on Monday and I am wondering if I should cold crash it or not. It is an IPA and in my hurry to brew my first batch I made a couple mistakes. I added the hop pellets without putting them in a steeping bag. I am wondering if I should cold crash it or just strain it when I syphon to my bottling bucket? I am leaning more toward filtering it because I don't want any carbonation problems after I bottle it. Enlighten me with your brewing knowledge and help me not ruin my first brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Cold crashing always helps in my experience. The more particles that settle out the better. Generally, a little hop residue won't hurt the carbonation process, though.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I cold crash all of my brews, It definately has helped me with clarity. Everything should/will drop to the bottom. I never bag my hops when I dry hop. I just throw them right in, never had any problems.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towndrunk View Post
I am planning on bottling my first home brew on Monday and I am wondering if I should cold crash it or not. It is an IPA and in my hurry to brew my first batch I made a couple mistakes. I added the hop pellets without putting them in a steeping bag. I am wondering if I should cold crash it or just strain it when I syphon to my bottling bucket? I am leaning more toward filtering it because I don't want any carbonation problems after I bottle it. Enlighten me with your brewing knowledge and help me not ruin my first brew.
A cold crash works well to have the floating crud fall to the bottom and to clear the beer. It does not prevent bottle carbonation. However, for me it is easy since I keg my brews and do a cold crash "in the keg".

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Towndrunk
Recipes 

Thanks guys. In to the fridge it goes!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
deepcdan99
Recipes 

I cold crash for a day or two or even longer if I dont have time to bottle or keg.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
brewDudeSF
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdan99
I cold crash all of my brews, It definately has helped me with clarity. Everything should/will drop to the bottom. I never bag my hops when I dry hop. I just throw them right in, never had any problems.
I'm curious about what would happen if I have some mold growing on top and then I cold crash. Would the mold spores drop to the bottom too?

I am dry hopping, 2 oz of Cascade in an APA, since Monday 4/16. When I dropped the hop bag into the brew I noticed some small white spots that looked like they cold be the start of some spores growing. I haven't lifted the lid to look, but i noticed increased bubbling activity, possibly related. (this is why i think moving to a clear glass carboy is a wise move)

Anyway, my concern is that cold crashing would drop the molds down. A valid concern or should I just RDWHAHB?

Thanks!

Bottled: brown sugar brown ale (my first!), Amber, Belgian Wit
Fermentor 1: WhatsHoppanin APA

Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

cold crash and then filter with a nylon bag around your siphon when transferring to bottling bucket.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
deepcdan99
Recipes 

I always see a bit of increase in airlock activity when I throw my dry hops in, I wouldnt worry about it. A glass carboy would only let you see that it is contaminated, wouldnt prevent it, but I guess it would take the guess work out of it.

Quick Reply