The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crash to gelatin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
WisDevilDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold crash to gelatin?

I've had an old english ale (Poor Richard's Ale to be precise) in my primary for 6 days now. The OG was 1082 and has been around 1020 for the past 2 days. Can I cold crash it for a few days then rack it into my secondary on top of some gelatin mix? Would it be best to keep it cold conditioned in the secondary or could it be at room temp. One last question, can the beer sit on top of the gelatin for the two weeks I planned on keeping it in secondary?
I kept seeing people post about cold crashing after 3 weeks, but they all seemed to go straight to bottling or kegging afterward. Thoughts, opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
skiwithg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You don't want to rack on top of gelatin. You should get the beer cold for 24 or more hours, then add the gelatin on top of the beer. The gelatin attracts haze particles and, together, they sink to the bottom of the vessel, yielding a clear to brilliant beer. Gelatin takes about 3 to 5 days.

Cold crashing will also clear the beer, but over a longer time and may not clear chill haze.

You can start the clearing process after you are sure fermentation is complete and the yeast has had a few extra days to tidy things up.

After the gelatin has had time to clear, you can then, gently, rack to a bottling bucket or keg. Take care to not stir up the sediment that the gelatin settled out.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwithg View Post
You don't want to rack on top of gelatin.
why not? I rack on top of gelatin so it gets evenly distributed thru-out the beer. Works great. In fact I just racked on top of gelatin with 2 carboys full of Steam beer. Within 24 hours there was a TON of crap at the bottom of the 2ndaries. I question that the beer needs to be cold too. I do it at room-temp, works like a charm.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Reason it works better when the beer has already been cold crashed is a lot has dropped out and the rest will be easier for the gelatin to remove. There is just so much that tablespoon will do .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

*raises hand*

so the point of racking onto gelatin in the secondary is that the gelatin binds with all the particulates in the beer, and you bypass needing to filter or be careful when bottling/etc.?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
JVD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapottomous View Post
*raises hand*

so the point of racking onto gelatin in the secondary is that the gelatin binds with all the particulates in the beer, and you bypass needing to filter or be careful when bottling/etc.?
The Gelatin will clear your beer much better than cold crashing and or being careful when bottling.I like to add it to room temp.beer, then cold crash! I have not had good luck adding it to COLD beer.It seems to gel up and drop to the bottom too fast?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
indeedproceed
Recipes 

Can I still dry hop if I use Gelatin?

Motto: A $100 shine on a $3 pair of shoes.

Bucket Primary: Dry Irish Stout
Carboy Secondary:
Other Bucket Primary:
Conditioning in Bottles:
Drinking: Nothin. But the Petite Saison D'Ete from NB was good.

Planned:

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

step away from the fermentor...

a beer that big needs time...beer conditions way faster at a warmer temp (and its an ale so thats cool---figure low 60's). leave it alone for a couple weeks and then cold crash for 48hrs (to get haze) then at gelatin and wait 48 more hrs. then keg.

I wouldn't touch it at all for atleast 3 weeks (or rack to a secondary and don't touch for 2 more weeks)...you don't have to listen to me but it will taste like poo (compared to that styles potential) if you don't give it time...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

also...gelatin works in 24 hrs. so just add at the very end.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
jonaconda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedproceed View Post
Can I still dry hop if I use Gelatin?
I'm sure there is a better way to do it and i'm curious to hear the answer. but when i use gelatin for my dry hoped beers i use it in tertiary. So my schedule goes something like this:

2-3 weeks primary
10-14 days dry hop secondary
3-5 days tertiary

Quick Reply