Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cold brewed tea in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
stageseven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default cold brewed tea in beer

I'm about to start experimenting with a recipe that involves adding a strong batch of tea for flavor. Having looked around for advice on how to accomplish this, it seems like general consensus is that the best way to do this is to cold brew the tea so you get the flavor without a lot of bitterness and add it at some point after the beer is chilled. However this seems to overlook the issue of sanitizing the water. Is this just overlooked or assumed that you would use distilled water to make the tea? Granted that most of the time people add unsanitized water to their cooled wort it's not a problem, but it seems to me that water that's been sitting around for a few days with organic material in it would cause more of a problem.

So what do you guys think? Distilled water? Sanitize the tea leaves in vodka or something first? Or is it not worth bothering with for some reason?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
DavidSteel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just boil the water and then cool it. Put the tea in a sanitized vessel with the cooled water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply