Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Break, Krausen and Questions (Attorney at law)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
koomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cold Break, Krausen and Questions (Attorney at law)

I've recently made the transition from an immersion chiller to a CFC and I'm very happy with the results thus far.

From what I understand the fact that the cold break is getting into the primary fermenter isn't a problem as the cold break is out of solution and that now that they are 'broken' they shouldn't be a problem, so there shouldn't be a need for the beer to be racked off it.

One thing I have noticed is that the krausen now seem to hang around forever. I've had brews that have had rock solid SG readings and the kruasen just sits there. Staring at me. Any who, I usually just skim it off with a sanitised spoon and any bits I miss quickly settle into the trub.

Does this change in krausen formation tie in with other people's experience of CFC's?

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by koomber
I've recently made the transition from an immersion chiller to a CFC and I'm very happy with the results thus far.

From what I understand the fact that the cold break is getting into the primary fermenter isn't a problem as the cold break is out of solution and that now that they are 'broken' they shouldn't be a problem, so there shouldn't be a need for the beer to be racked off it.

One thing I have noticed is that the krausen now seem to hang around forever. I've had brews that have had rock solid SG readings and the kruasen just sits there. Staring at me. Any who, I usually just skim it off with a sanitised spoon and any bits I miss quickly settle into the trub.

Does this change in krausen formation tie in with other people's experience of CFC's?
I've used a wide diversity of chilling methods and can't say that I have found any predictable pattern around krausen. It's appearance and falling is complexly related to foaming proteins, so a change in your break material could certainly be related. But...who cares? Why are you scooping that stuff out with a spoon? Leave your beer alone! Leave it alone!!!

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whats with the "(attorney at law)" ????

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
koomber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breez7 View Post
Whats with the "(attorney at law)" ????
I just thought that Cold-break, Krauzen and Question sounds a bit like a legal firm

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koomber View Post
I just thought that Cold-break, Krauzen and Question sounds a bit like a legal firm
Thanks for the explanation. Would never have got it otherwise.

Quick Reply