New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold Basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
Barley_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I pitched my yeast Friday afternoon with the wort at around 73* (recommended to start between 70 and 75) and placed the carboy on a small towel on the basement floor. Fermentation had begun by Saturday morning, and went strong all weekend. This morning (Monday), fermentation has really slowed, but the temperature of the wort is still 62*, and there's a lot of yeast in suspension. The wort smells great - like yeast and very good beer. There aren't any off odors like sulfur (which White Labs warns can result from cold-stressing this yeast strain). I've now wrapped it in a blanket to be safe, but it seems like everything has been fine. It looks like most of the fermentation has taken place, and I'm going to let it chug along to about the two week mark before transferring it to a secondary to cold condition.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I ferment in my basement all the time, where it will range between 60 and 68 degrees depending on the time of the year, and whether we have our air conditioner on or furnace.

Definitely let it go for at least 2 - 3 weeks at that temp, and then take a hydrometer reading.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A lot of people talk about fermentation times like they are written in stone, as we all know they are not. I am of the school of thought, don't hurry your beer. At two weeks take your first hydro test, wait three days, hydro again, and if no change, fermentation is done. It appears you may be fairly new to brewing, based on your number of posts.Your beer will be fine in the fermenter, it doesn't need to be moved. Besides, if a little something funky occurs, there will be plenty of yeast to clean it up. The more you transfer your beer, the greater the risk for infection. Leave it alone, and when it is done, cold crash and move to bottling bucket. Just my $0.02

Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 AM   #24
Barley_Bob
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just had a glass of this beer the other day and it's great! It's not perfect, but it is a solid, drinkable beer. It has excellent texture - a surprisingly creamy feel. ...And I'm hooked.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
WissaBrewGuy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great! Nice work Barley Bob.

Success is buried in the garden of failure - Rick Wakeman

Quick Reply