Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coffee Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Jkonn63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coffee Stout

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've watched a bunch of videos and read some books preparing for this day. I'm planning on brewing my first beer next weekend and have a couple of questions for anyone with experience.

I've got my kit with a 6 gallon carboy and 6 gallon bottling bucket and all the equipment, and I've got a kit for a coffee stout (specifically this one http://www.ritebrew.com/coffee-stout...7sriu52jov0uo4)

The instructions that came with the kit are about as plain as what is on their website.

I'm good up until it comes time to add the coffee. It says to crush and steep the coffee beans for 24-36 hours before bottling. I'm assuming this means to steep the beans in water and refridgerate for 24-36 hours and add it to my bottling bucket just before bottling?

I was originally going to use the bottling bucket as a primary fermenter, then add a cold-brewed coffee to the carboy and rack the brew into it for secondary and then bottling after this is complete. But now that I've read the directions that came with the kit, I'm unsure if racking into a secondary is necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with coffee stouts. Is one method of adding the coffee preferred by you over another? Does racking into a secondary make that much difference? Or, do you have a suggestion for another method?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's been done numerous ways, you can see a bunch of similar threads below in the "similar threads box" or simply do a search for coffee stout. Personally, I use the cold steeped method and add to secondary after steeping, it works fine.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Jkonn63
Recipes 

Ok, good to hear!

WHen I steep my coffee beans, is there any special way I can go about to prevent contaminant? Will I be fine just sanitizing a glass bowl for the steeping, and dipping some cling wrap in sanitizer and covering?

I'm getting excited now, can't wait for this week to be over!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone know anything about coffee? Do you get better flavor extraction using hot water (ie, making regular coffee), or by cold steeping?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You won't get much coffee flavor unless you use hot water. Which also takes care of the sanitation question.

Just don't grind the beans too fine. Go for like a french press grind. Heck, USE a french press and you won't have to worry about bags and filtering out the grounds.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have brewed Espresso Stouts using 16oz. of brewed espresso poured directly into the priming solution and added to the bottling bucket. Works great. Good flavor.

NRS

Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Jkonn63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
You won't get much coffee flavor unless you use hot water. Which also takes care of the sanitation question.

Just don't grind the beans too fine. Go for like a french press grind. Heck, USE a french press and you won't have to worry about bags and filtering out the grounds.
I don't have a french press, nor do I know much about coffee. You mentioned using hot water to get more flavor. If I decided to just steep it, would it benefit it to steep it in very hot water, and then put it in the fridge to set for a day? Or could I just steep it in hot water and add the hot water directly to the carboy, before racking?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Well, first of all, a french press could be a worthwhile investment. The best coffee is made with them IMO, and it's the best/easiest way to add coffee to a beer.

You could do well without one, though. First of all, you want to make sure you can filter it, so coarse - like a french press grind - would be good.

I suppose you could just do something similar to the french press method. I would boil water for a bit do deoxygenate/sterilize it, then, when it cooled to around 190-200degrees, add the coffee and steep. Let cool at room temperature, then put it in the fridge until you are ready to decant the liquid into the bottling/kegging step.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Make an extract with the ground beans and vodka, strain then add to your bottling bucket. It gets all the flavor and none of the bitterness (save that job for your hops).

Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post

Balogna or Baloney. I cold steeped mine and added it at bottling time to taste. Don't remember off had how much I added to the 5 gallons, but I could sure taste the coffee.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply