Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > coffee grinder as a grain mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
nos33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default coffee grinder as a grain mill?

Would I be able to use my coffee grinder as a grain mill? It seems like it would work for me and save lots of $$ on a grain mill. I am only thinking of doing very small batches of grain.

Anyone every tried this? by my estimation it would only take a few batches through the grinder per pound.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Psst...... Look below. The similar threads should give you an idea.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Short answer - no

Longer answer - I guess it could depend on your grinder. The point of a grain mill is to crack open the grain. We want to expose as much of the endosperm as possible while keeping the hull as intact as possible. Thats why grain mills have 1, 2, 3 or 4 rollers that progressively crush the kernels between them. Coffee grinders on the other hand GRIND, not CRUSH. Blade grinders are obviously the worst. They just use a blade to pummel what ever is inside to oblivion. The only exception is chocolate or roasted barley. People will use a coffee grinder to grind a few oz of these black malts to add late in the mash so they dont extract too much of the acrid burnt flavors from the malt. Burr and Conical Burr grinders would be hit or miss. I don't think you would get a good crush unless you owned a $3000 + adjustable conical burr grinder.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i neglected the search option. i normally use it but spaced it off this time.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
samljer2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Uh yea you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos33 View Post
Would I be able to use my coffee grinder as a grain mill? It seems like it would work for me and save lots of $$ on a grain mill. I am only thinking of doing very small batches of grain.

Anyone every tried this? by my estimation it would only take a few batches through the grinder per pound.
Regardless of what you've read here, yes you can I do it.
the short answer is YES, not no as im seeing.

Mine takes 2 handfull at a time, i hit the button, count to 10 and done.
for less fine, 5 seconds, 30 seconds makes a fine powder.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
rancidcrabtree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used my coffee grinder with wheat malt (no hulls to worry about!) and had good results. I stick with the barley crusher for barley, obviously.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've also had good success with a rolling pin. When you show up at a friends to brew and realize your grain isn't crushed yet, it is time to improvise.

Quick Reply