Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cocoa Powder addition to a porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Neville61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cocoa Powder addition to a porter

Ok so I have been reading through the many threads about adding a chocolate flavor to a porter and I really want to try it with my next batch. I was planning on just trying a simple porter recipe then adding cocoa powder (or any other alternative that will give the beer a chocolate flavor)to the batch.

Problem is, the more I read the more I read about how the amount that is used and when the addition is added seems to vary. Some add the cocoa at flameout (i assume that means 0min boil time), some talked about in the primary, some in the secondar, etc. And most used 8oz of cocoa powder but some people said that did not give a very noticeable taste.

I was hoping someone has had some experience with a cocoa addition and could tell me how they did it and what the result was.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've done this with increasingly ridiculous amounts of cocoa powder, and I've never been able to capture the flavor. Even dissolving it in sugar water beforehand doesn't work.

Look into using cocoa nibs instead in prim/secondary, is my advice. Haven't tried it yet, but I've read that does the trick.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Here is a recipe of mine that uses cocao powder. Cocao Cayenne Porter

Ive always had good results with it. I have also used chcoloate extract in a stout that was very "chocolatey", however it was not very authentic tasting. I have heard good things about Nibs but have never tried them.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just made a very chocolatey beer. I used 1 cup of cocoa powder at flameout (0 minutes) and just under a cup of cocoa powder when I racked to secondary (it's a 5gal batch). I also had 3/4# of chocolate malt in the mash.

Anything less than that should give you an increasingly subtle flavor,

Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used 4 ounces (by weight) of cocoa powder at flame out in a smoked porter and the chocolate flavor definitely comes through. FWIW, I did dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter so the cocoa powder was in contact with the beer for the entire three weeks it was in primary.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
robbywil
Recipes 

To date my strongest chocolate character (flavor and aroma) has come from cacao nibs. In my personal experiences haven't liked the effects of cocoa powder. Always seems to impart a slight chalky mouthfeel in the beers I've had although i know others have had success with it. I will add 8oz+ cacao nibs at secondary. It really needs at least two weeks on the nibs so unfortunately it's a more patient approach to getting chocolate flavor. Depending on the style of the beer I will sometimes soak in bourbon for a couple days and pitch the whole thing in a mesh bag into secondary. I've also been ok pitching the nibs without a liquor soak as long as you feel comfortable that they were packaged sanitary. While in secondary ill give the carboy a stir every couple days to get new beer on the nibs. You will get some chocolate/husk residue from the nibs but nothing you can't keep out of your finished beer with a cold crash or careful racking.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
oach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have to agree with robbywil and PoppinCaps. I have used powder and nibs with nibs giving me a truer and better chocolate taste than the powder. But it is home brewing so some of the fun might be doing it both ways to see which one you have better luck with and prefer.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Neville61
Recipes 

thanks guys! That is some great info! I am definitely going to have to look into the nibs now

Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
rafaelpinto
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I am planning on using both powder and nibs in my Breakfast Stout clone. (I will also add slightly roasted coffee beans, so the brew will come out more like a cappuccino stout)... Flaked and malted oats will be used also, as well as vanilla beans!

Regarding combining them, what do you guys suggest for an obvious yet pleasant chocolate flavor and smell?

Damn, it will be a kick-ass brew!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
josh940711
Recipes 

I'm doing a coffee porter with chocolate flavor and used cocoa nibs in my secondary and the chocolate and coffee flavor are amazing

Quick Reply