Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cocoa and Chocolate Contribute to OG/FG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Cocoa and Chocolate Contribute to OG/FG?

I'm fermenting a double chocolate stout at the moment. I took a hydrometer reading after one week after fermentation and my SG was at 1.020, which is significantly higher than what I was expecting, but I'm not super surprised by the reading due to the following reasons:

1. I've been having mash temp. problems for a lot of my batches; usually they are too low. For this batch my mash temp. actually kept and my mash was around 155F; I wanted it around 150F.
2. I added 1# of dextrine to create some more head retention.
3. I added 6 ounces of chocolate and cocoa powder (2 oz. cocoa, 6 oz. bittersweet Baker's).

Even with reasons #1 and #2 I would have expected my SG to be a little lower. I had a grain bill of about 12 pounds (9# US 2-Row) and pitched two packages of Nottingham yeast and fermented between 62 to 65 degrees.

I did some research and couldn't find any adequate results on how much chocolate and cocoa powder will contribute to the OG/FG of the stout. Should I expect higher FG readings because of the addition of the chocolate and cocoa powder?

Thanks!

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If there's sugar in something it's going to add to the og.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
FensterBos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Update: Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure I used unsweetened Baker's chocolate, which to Revvy's response, would mean that there would be little-to-no sugar added. This might be a matter of mash temperature or grain bill that could cause this.
Grain Bill
9# - US 2-Row
1# - Crystal 90L
1# - Dextrine
1/2# - Roasted
Mash temp: 155f
2 x Nottingham Packages; Ferm temp 62 to 65f.
OG 1.060
SG 1.020

Should I assume the SG is correct or has fermentation stopped early?

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Bring that fermenter to low 70's and give it a swirl to stir up the yeast. I think there is more fermenting to be done.

Quick Reply