The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Co2 Regulators (What to buy)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Justintoxicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Co2 Regulators (What to buy)

I am new to brewing and kegging.

I have this regulator and 2 kegs. (Plan to eventually get 2 more kegs).

Should I buy a new dual regulator? Manifold?

Untitled by Glamisduner, on Flickr

Need to decide today very soon.

I was looking getting this for now, but not sure if it is necessary?
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=216

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Turlian
Recipes 

So, for about the same price as the one you linked, you could get a three regulator secondary, and have three different pressures.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turlian View Post
So, for about the same price as the one you linked, you could get a three regulator secondary, and have three different pressures.
So that would somehow attach to the regulator I already have?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Turlian
Recipes 

You would attach your current primary regulator to the CO2 tank, then run a gas line from the primary output to the secondary input. You could even have your CO2 outside of your kegerator that way if you needed the space.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's a great option there. Also, you can get another single gauge regulator and remove your stem on your dual gauge and connect it to where the plug goes on the new single gauge via a close nipple. That would give you two regulators at least. If you will always have say, two beers to serve and one to carb, you could just split the output of one of the regs and run that one at 12psi for serving or whatever, and then the other on a higher psi for carbing if that's how you choose to carb.

If you use set-it-and-forget-it to carb, pretty much one regulator and a manifold to split it's output would be fine. Most beers carb at relatively the same psi and can usually be served there with the right length of serving line, too.

If you plan to have 4 different beers in the lineup at all times, various styles, some carbing, some serving, etc...you'll want the control of multiple regulators.

Essentially all the linked product above (3 product regulator) is 3 single-gauge regulators connected with nipples, similar to what I said you could do with yours. They are "secondary" because there's no high-pressure gauge...but you could easily add one if that was all you had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The way i'm going is a single regulator with a 3 way secondary regulator inside the keezer. This way I can run 4 kegs with the highest pressure being ran from the primary regulator, and the rest being ran from the secondary regulators.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
annoyingrob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO, I like having a dual regulator, being able to serve at one pressure and carb at another is nice but it's totally not necessary.

I wouldn't spend anything on a new regulator setup yet. You can absolutely just start with the regulator you have, buy a manifold (or even just some plastic T's and zip-ties/hose clamps if you want to be cheap) to feed multiple kegs with one pressure. Then, in the future if you feel like you want more flexibility there's nothing wrong with buying a 2nd regulator and screwing it on to the first one you have. These things are all completely modular with two high-pressure connections and two low-pressure connections. Take off the CGA-320 stem and replace with a 1/4" npt barb and you can screw a new regulator right where a HP gauge or blank is on another regulator.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingrob View Post
IMO, I like having a dual regulator, being able to serve at one pressure and carb at another is nice but it's totally not necessary.

I wouldn't spend anything on a new regulator setup yet. You can absolutely just start with the regulator you have, buy a manifold (or even just some plastic T's and zip-ties/hose clamps if you want to be cheap) to feed multiple kegs with one pressure. Then, in the future if you feel like you want more flexibility there's nothing wrong with buying a 2nd regulator and screwing it on to the first one you have. These things are all completely modular with two high-pressure connections and two low-pressure connections. Take off the CGA-320 stem and replace with a 1/4" npt barb and you can screw a new regulator right where a HP gauge or blank is on another regulator.
This. A manifold is nice though, and much cheaper than any new regulator options. I have a dual regulator on my 2 tap kegerator, and a regulator with a 4 outlet manifold in garage fridge/kegerator for up to four kegs. The vast majority of the time they're all at 12 PSI (I serve my beer cold). I've spent plenty of money on brew related stuff, but the dual regulator is certainly not one of those things I feel like got my money's worth on.

In fact, the dual regulator I have in my dual tap kegerator...mostly just makes the co2 tank top heavy and tippy, so I have to secure it inside the kegerator so the weight of the dual regulator won't cause it to tip over. I DID ruin a 5lb canister when that happened once.....Mo regulator Mo problems. Check valved manifold gives me all the flexibility I want, or need really.

Here ya go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-way-Co2-Ga...item53edb260a3

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 84 batches and counting (as of 7/09/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Turlian
Recipes 

I also started out with just a single regulator and judicious use of metal T's and hose clamps. Just installed my secondaries and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
In fact, the dual regulator I have in my dual tap kegerator...mostly just makes the co2 tank top heavy and tippy, so I have to secure it inside the kegerator so the weight of the dual regulator won't cause it to tip over.
I have a dual regulator setup (attached two regulators together) on my CO2 tank in the fridge...also top-heavy. Had to bungee the tank to the shelf-track so it doesn't tip.

I have 4 regulators in total, 3 work, one needs cleaning and reassembly. I have no idea how I'll configure them, or if I'll just sell all but one or two and get a manifold. At this point I'm thinking of keeping one for portable serving since I have the paintball tank and adapter already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply