CO2 in a 5 liter keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
everytime i use my 5 liter kegs the beer is flat. i put the priming sugar in but it is always flat. is there a way to add co2 to the 5 liter keg.

im keeping them a week around 68 degrees and usally a tablespoon of sugar. Then in the fridge around a month!! I drink all of my bottles first then go to the mini keg. my fridge is around 34 degrees.

the last one i had last night was in the fridge around three months opened it it squirted out with pressure but it only lasted about a half of a mug, so i end up pulling the plastic out of the bung to get it to flow.

im keeping them a week around 68 degrees and usally a tablespoon of sugar. Then in the fridge around a month!! I drink all of my bottles first then go to the mini keg. my fridge is around 34 degrees.

there's your problem. you need at least 3 weeks at that temp or more. they will not carb in a fridge. It is good to have them in the fridge for a couple days before tapping but they aren't going to carb up in there.

also the one tablespoon is on the low side. from one to three was what I used depending on style...usually two.

ok thanks im i do have another question. i went to get a bottle of beer and the plastic in the bung had shot out. i only used one tablespoon and the beer was a honey amber. Im thinking i have too much beer in the keg??? What would you do now??? Add more sugar or take some beer out like a bottle. Then add more sugar????

are you using the two piece bungs? typically grey with a clear plastic center piece. you push in the center piece when you want to pour a brew and retrieve it when finished.

i use the two piece bung. i have been taking the plastic piece out because no beer will come out. Then put it back in when im done pouring the beer.

I'm buying 5litre kegs soon, and have done research on them, you use half the priming sugar, kegs take less time to carb than bottles do, and when dispensing, use a 16g co2 bulb to keep the beer carb'd because kegs will lose co2 quickly once tapped.

I used to push the inner piece into the keg and when done pouring brews pop an extra one in backwards into the bung. It helped save some carb if I wasn't using a tap.

This reminds me I have to dig up my mini keg equip I'm not using. I've got two different taps, a ton of bungs and a bunch of cartridges in storage somewhere.

Back