Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cloudy beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Did you use anything like Irish moss or whirlfloc during your boil to precipitate some of the proteins? That's usually the first step towards achieving clarity (though not strictly necessary). The other, which the Kaiser alludes to, is time at a chilly temperature. By forcing the chill haze to form, it may then precipitate over time, and you can rack the clarified beer off of the trub.

I use both of these techniques with pretty good success, but don't worry about it too much if I don't reach the standard because it's really just an aesthetic issue. In fact, now that my garage is heating up with spring I really don't have a cold storage location.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 AM   #12
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am always amazed at the clarity of my beer after I started using whirlfloc tabs! In the last wheat beer batch I forgot and added one of the things and my wheat beer turned out looking about like yuengling! Actually, it's a bit more orange.. kinda looks like orange gatorade in the clear newcastle bottles. It was 60% wheat malt and it's as clear as day (though I did use a a protein rest during the mash).

As for your chill haze - it's a purely cosmetic problem. If it bothers you then just drink the beer a bit warmer. I imagine you're doing extract batches, if so then probably the best thing you could do would be to add some irish moss of whirlfloc in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Finings added in the secondary can also help clarify but I don't recall if they will affect chill haze... frankly I'm not too knowledgeable about this subject since I've never cared much about the clarity of my beers and have typically had very clear beers and have thus never used any finings or done any filtering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply