Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cloudy Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
RDC4687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookstownbrewer View Post
I had a problem with cloudy beer very early on. I was cooling my wort down to room temperature in less than 6 minutes, I tried to leave the hot break in the boil pot. It eventually came down to not boiling vigoriously enough. I was so paranoid about boiling over in my basement that I wasn't cranking the heat enough. As soon as I moved out into my garage and started boiling at much higher temps I noticed an immediate improvement in my beer clarity.
6 mins?!? I have a high flow wort chiller AND I pack ice around it and it still takes me 20 mins. How did you cool it this quick?

Also any thoughts on how LME vs DME effects chill haze? Irish Moss vs Wirlflock?

I have been looking because my most recent IPA was crystal clear in my secondary and I just went to drink my first one (keg) and it was EXTREMELY cloudy. Reading above, it sounds like I just need to wait. But I have recently switched to DME and wirlflock as opposed to LME and Irish Moss. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1906 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Up to now,I get little or no chill haze by chilling the hot wort down to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less. I also let the beer dettle out clear or slightly misty before priming & bottling. It'll settle out in a few days. Then when it's time,at least 1 week fridge time. Chill haze takes 3 days or so to settle out,like fog. And co2 takes at least a week with pale ales to absorb well.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
RDC4687
Recipes 

As usual, I think impatience is my problem. I am only one day 3 of carbing (30psi for 24 hours, 2 days at 10-12psi). I didn't know that different beers absorb at different rates, thanks for the info.

I still want to know how to chill your wort in 6 mins!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

I just started using whirlfoc and it has made a HUGE difference in the clarity of my beer. I don't have a wort chiller and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to cool so I still have a bit of chill haze, but after a week in the fridge they are as clear as any filtered commercial beer.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC4687 View Post
6 mins?!? I have a high flow wort chiller AND I pack ice around it and it still takes me 20 mins. How did you cool it this quick?

Also any thoughts on how LME vs DME effects chill haze? Irish Moss vs Wirlflock?

I have been looking because my most recent IPA was crystal clear in my secondary and I just went to drink my first one (keg) and it was EXTREMELY cloudy. Reading above, it sounds like I just need to wait. But I have recently switched to DME and wirlflock as opposed to LME and Irish Moss. Any thoughts?
It'll clear, it's a chill haze. Or maybe some sediment from it being the first pull from the keg. Give it a week or so, the haze should be subsiding by then.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply