clone brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjg1279

Reaction score
Does anyone know what they mean in the book clone brews when they say to bottle with 1/4 cup of dme boiled in water?

Place 1/4 cup dried malt extract in boiling water, stir till dissolved, cool then place into your bottling bucket and stir and bottle. Its for carbonating your beer.

DME contains the sugars necessary to carbonate bottles, so some people use it instead of corn sugar to prime their bottles. If you're more familiar with using corn sugar you can just use that method to carb up the beer instead.

Ive done a couple recipes from a Clone Brews book. Is it the Mark and Tess book out of Monroe CT?

Ive done the bass and a friend of mine has done many IPA's from them. not the Magic Hat #9 though. Ive never had a bad recipe from them. They are like 15 minutes from my house, they have a similiar setup like Austin homebrew with clone kits in store. I think Maltose Express is going to have more of an online presence very soon.

At least if that's the book your referring to. They do DME for priming in I think most if not all their stuff. I think the lacing is better with the DME but Im not sure worth the extra cost.

I made the Magic Hat clone from the Can You Brew It episode. I tried it side by side with an actual #9. It was dead on.

I am bottling a clone of #9 this Saturday!
I got my recipe from one of the binders at my LHBS that has hundreds of clone recipes from magazines in it. This one was from a BYO mag.
It smells AMAZING and I am dying to carb it up and drink a few bottles!

A friend gifted me Clone Brews and I have been really really pleased with the beers from it. I made the Blanche de Bruxelles, the Rodenbach, and from Mark and Tess' other book the Rochefort. They did an article on BYO with a Dunkelweizen recipe which also made a fantastic beer.

I love that Clone Brews has a Scaldis Noel recipe. And that scotch Silly looks good. Basically that book is probably the only one I'll need for the next few years.

Back